Jaimee's Owner Builder Pool, AZ.

Jaimee

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2014
Queen Creek /Arizona
Jaimee's Owner Builder Pool in AZ

Serious DIY. Lots of Pictures. I hesitated to post, but figured this would be a good way to at least document this process for myself. I am building a small plunge pool (16' x 10') with baja shelf and a spa (7' x 10'). The perimeter will be raised off grade 24". The pool has an infinity edge on the house side. It gets really hot here in the summer (110* F and I wanted a place for the dogs to be able to cool off safely (negative edge basin).

This is truly an owner build. I want to do as much as I can because I have the time and construction is fun for me. There are things that I can't do (e.g. steel, shotcrete) and things I won't do for safety (electrical), but I'm going to see how it goes. It won't be perfect, so go easy on me if you choose to critique.

These pictures show the initial layout and my start of hand digging the negative edge basin. I utilized the company equipment later on... hand digging was not fun.:snorkle::sunny:

Attachments

• pool build 3.jpg
    pool build 3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 856
  • Hand digging basin .jpg
    Hand digging basin .jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 859
  • Basin digging another angle.jpg
    Basin digging another angle.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:
Re: Jaimee's Owner Builder Pool in AZ Excavation

Here's a few more pictures of how the dig looks now. I need to clean it up a bit by hand; I'm doing it little by little. I'm excited because today I picked up my pipe for the plumbing.

Rough dig done.jpg
Rough dig pool and basin.jpg
rough dig spa.jpg
Rough dig west side.jpg

Re: Jaimee's Owner Builder Pool in Arizona

Hi, Welcome to TFP! Did you dig that hole with a shovel? Or as my uncle calls it an Irish steam shovel? :)

Looking great so far! Very cool project. I am one of those who would think that is a fun thing to do if I had the time also. Thanks for sharing.

Ha just dug the negative edge basin with a shovel and my brother came over, laughed at me and helped me get our mini excavator from the family construction business yard. As for decking, its going to be tumbled pavers but mostly artificial turf with a mist sprinkler system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Corleone, thanks for the encouraging words. I am realizing I've bitten off a lot to chew and it's getting hotter here every day. I read your build posts (gorgeous pool!) and this pool is just basic but I am inspired to do what I can with our limited budget.

However. Just hit the first major snag today and I'm stumped on what avenue to take. I had a pool designer help me in the beginning render my sketches and I tweaked them from there and sent all to several subs. I then proceeded to stake and dig and plumb without a permit (I know...) while I waited to afford engineering, which is required on every pool in our county.

I had planned on all walls (negative wier wall, spa wall and 24" high perimeter) being the same thickness of 12". A very nice shotcrete sub advised me that 12" was too much because coping sizes were 11 or 12" and I needed overhang so he would go with 10.5" walls. So, OK, I thought that sounded reasonable, and I adjusted my plans and digging for that.

Fast forward. I got my engineering back (only $250., should have done it sooner) and emailed it to the steel subs for re-bids. The engineer specs said for the wall height, 9" thickness would be OK so I told the subs I wanted to stay with 10.5" thick concrete above ground like I had planned..

I got a voice mail from one of the steel subs stating that he was going to be doing the job tomorrow (?!) and I needed to be aware that his guy was doing all the walls 12". I called him back and said, "Thanks, but I was requesting a re-bid, there's no contact yet and I don't even have a permit." He said, "that's OK, the steel is already loaded on the truck.". I told him I needed to check the engineering notes and call him back. I looked at the spec tables and yes, 9" for inside walls and 8" for perimeter walls. But I wanted them all the same thickness, with equal elevation. Then I called the shotcrete company and they said yes, 10.5" was what they usually did. Then I called the steel guy back and told him all and he said: "If you don't go with 12", you are going to have rust spots because the steel is too close to the outside of thr pool shell". He is giving the best price, just way pushy and I see his point, but heck. I've dug, set forms and plumbed based on 10.5". I told him to hold off on my job until I run tape and think about this. If I go with 12" walls, the small pool will be even smaller and there will be more money in concrete. On the other hand, I don't want any chance of rust spots. I'm also worried about finding an affordable coping choice that's bigger than 12". Yikes.

Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated. Nerve wracking, but I keep telling myself this project is less stressful than installing 24" water mains in busy intersections in central Phoenix, which I have been in charge of several times. As long as the subs (you didn't contract with yet) don't sneak in too soon and do the wrong work in the middle of the night!!!

Thanks pigeon. I have 4 younger brothers and 2 younger sisters. We are really close (sometimes too close haha) and all of us live within 50 miles within the same state. 6 of us are in construction and our baby sister helped put her husband through law school probably so she wouldn't have to be in construction haha. It is a stressful profession nowadays.

Azgirl71, I see you are in Sierra Vista. Yep, you know all about living in the grips of hades weather for the summer!! I do love AZ though, and hopefully this pool will ease the pain of blow dryer wind in August. It looks like you know your stuff on pool chemistry. Maybe I will implore your assistance down the road and someday we can barbeque. Cheers.

pooldv, I learned how to reply to comments, I think. Thanks for the encouragement. I hit a problem (see above), but it's not the end of the world. I dug too much with a shovel for a 43-year-old, let's just leave it at that, ha.

Steel is In!!! But there's a snafu...

Pool Steel From Balcony.jpgThe first sub came today and put rebar in. Great guys, glad they did it because it would have taken me 3 years. There's a problem though I don't know how to handle. I did the plumbing myself, and left stubs for the pipes to go through the spa/pool wall. (Air line, pool return and basin drain). On one side I was a little off and will have to line it up better, which is no big deal. However. The air line that goes from the blower to the jets around the perimeter top edge of the spa needs to be connected. It is my understanding that it should be above all waterlines. Now I have a notch in the wall between the spa and pool and taking that line under the notch will bring it too low, right? But it needs to be a continous loop, correct? I don't know what to do about this. I frankly didn't even think about this before. Any suggestions?
Pool Steel Facing W.jpg
Pool Steel Facing N.jpg
Pool Steel Facing SW.jpg

sorry I cant help with your problem but wanted you to know it is looking awesome... I was really debating on whether to do an owner build and I still really do not know... its a lot of work :)

Re: Jaimee's Owner Builder Pool, AZ Steel is In! Help.

I don't know if this helps you but its hard for me to see your issue. The loop does need to be enclosed. Heres my raised spa with overflow. On the left you'll see two 90's which then drops underground and then stubs up for air intake next to my jbox. This does not run back to the equipment pad in my case.

image_zpsd7504d4d.jpg

Re: Jaimee's Owner Builder Pool, AZ Steel is In! Help.

cowboycasey thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, it has been a lot of work but I enjoy it and I want to know everything about the pool. I maintain things better when I understand them. Corleone, thanks for the picture. That's exactly what I needed to see. Yes, my water jet line is looped like yours but I didn't know you could just arc the air loop halfway around only to keep it above the waterline. Sadly, last night before I saw your post I put the airline all the way around but I will amend it when I get home. I read your build post and your pool is amazing. I love different and yours definitely fits the non typical!!!

Re: Jaimee's Owner Builder Pool, AZ Shotcrete Done!!! New Pics

Yay!!! Our second sub, the shotcrete guys, came today. Looks like a pool! No more pokey wires or worry about sunburned pipe (which hadn't happened yet because I painted everything). Desert State Shotcrete was amazing. They even squirted the overage into my equipment pad form so I don't have to spend a day with the cement mixer! So excited. The weather is finally in the 90's during the day so (me) laying coping and tile won't be so gruesome as the pipework and electrical rough. Getting closer!! And yes, my yard is a complete mess but right now I don't care as I have a shotcreted pool sitting in the sun. AHHHHHHhhhhhh.Shotcrete 1.jpgView attachment 42821Shotcrete 3.jpgShotcrete 5.jpg

Attachments

• Shotcrete 4.jpg
    Shotcrete 4.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 524

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.