Pool Wall Bowed from Winter.

Marcre

Apr 22, 2015
Canada
I have a 24' above ground pool we installed 2 years ago. This is our second winter with the pool. This year we had a particularly bad winter with allot of snow and rain. Finally over the last few weeks the snow and ice is melting away and I'm getting the opportunity to check out the pool. I noticed today the bottom part of the wall approx 1/3 away around the pool is bowed out. The wall is still in the top and bottom tracks and the liner looks fine. The water level is where we left it in fall. I'm assuming this is because the frost in the ground pushed up on the bottom track and the wall had to other place to go but out.
Now my question/concern. Is it possible the wall will bow back in as the frost comes out of the ground. And if not is the pool safe to use until the next liner change when I can straighten out the wall. The last thing we want is to put anyone at harm if the pool wall gives out.

image.jpg

This is something we are seeing a bit more of this year on the forum. The area I live in is also in the nasty cold region and I don't see that on my pool. 2 real cold winters in a row now.

I wonder if the newer pools are being made from thinner material and this is contributing to this.
What type of coving did you have installed around the bottom of the walls? Just wondering if the foam coving may be contributing to this as it is somewhat compressible where as sand is not.

This is all ground movement due to severe cold and heaving n has nothing to do with foam.

It sure looks that way. I know my deck will move with the ground freezing and in spring will come back down. Here's to hoping the pool wall will bend back as the frost come out of the ground. Very worrisome though.

Yes but if it doesn't go down on it's own, you may be looking at a 're install to take the earth down to level. That's a worse case scenario. Just wait n see.

It looks like the wall came out of the track. If it did, you can only hope when the ground thaws that it will go back in place. Ours didn't. Did you install the pool? If a company did it, did you watch the install?
We have a lot of ground water so there is a lot of frost heave. We lost the pool last year due to buckling, but once we dug out the backfill, we saw that all the patio blocks had sunk into the ground. It started to happen again this year (after we dug the whole thing out last year and replaced the liner, added drainage), but it settled down once it got warm. I think not having a solid base under the uprights is a huge problem in our colder regions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like frost heave to me.

I have a patio and sidewalk that heave every year and every year they settle back down. Give it a while though. It will take some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wall is thankfully still in its track and I'm noticing over the weekend the gap between the upright and wall is closing. So that's a positive. It snowed again here the last two days so the thaw is still a few weeks away. I'm crossing my fingers once the ground comes down the buckle disappears. I unsure if that's possible?

I installed, we have somewhat poor drainage here as well so we made a nice solid base with crusher dust and compacted it really well.

Sounds good. You more than likely suffered frost heave.

I would say. I was talking to the local pool guy last year before opening. He said there was allot of people with the same issue. We had the worst winters I had ever seen. At times you couldn't tell there was a pool in the yard the snow was so high. This year's great, going to pull off the cover this weekend ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.