Hardi or Durock and a few other questions

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
went to buy my materials today I got everything to start but stopped when I went to the cement board selection. Decided to come back for it after I talk to you guys.

I'll be using 1/4" for the side and 1/2 for the counter.
Comparing the two, Durockwent appears to be stiffer and would resist from moister and less likely to cave.

But mainly, Durock is more of a cement texture which leads me to think it's a better product to use on the side for a stucco application directly on the board.

I plan on using a hopper to spray stucco on the board, do I trowel a thin layer first then spray? I'm hopping to achieve a smooth stucco texture

do you rip your Trex board in half or use the full 5" width?

And one last question, for the counter top, do you add braces every 16" like the frame and put the hardi/durock board directly over with no plywood underneath?

To do the stucco you should do a brown coat and then a top coat. If it was me I would do a lathe, brown, top coat and consider (depending on how wet the area is) a redgaurd treatment underneath. I don't think the stucco with care which board. Should stick fine to either.

I ripped mine to the width of my frame material. It's expensive stuff and no real reasons to have it overhang unless you have a finished interior floor.

What is your countertop material? If slab then you may not need anything. If tile, I would do 16" oc and then 1/2 hardi. If concrete, 12" oc with 1/2" hardi. I wouldn't introduce plywood as it may rot and will be close to a heat source.

I'll be using tile on the counter top, what I've been stressing out about it is the corner, there isn't much selection of bullnose 3x12 tiles for the edges. The granite labor alone is 200 per slab plus the cut out so about 600 just for labor.

I did thought about it, but by the time you add all the buffing pads etc... The cost will be close to granite. I have all the tiling tools, using cheap tiles I budget about 200 for tile materials. Covering the same area with concrete would be about twice as much. 2 slab of low grade granite can be had for 120 each but the labor kills it. I have the tools to cut granite as well, I just don't have the bit to create the bullnose for the 5ft of bullnose on the L shape.

Spent many hours figuring out the size and I think I finally got it to satisfactory.

Had a discussion with the boss lady last night, we both agreed the grout lines of tile counter tops getting dirty is inevitable. So we're going to up the budget to fit granite slabs in the budget given that I perform the work myself. I'll farm out the 5ft of bullnose on the unfinish side at $25/ft. bbq counter final.jpgbbq frame final.jpgbbq frame final side.jpg

You will probably need some supports under that long counter run.

yah, I'm brainstorming that part at the moment. original plan was to use tile, then I would just frame it out with steel and back it with 3x2 inside the studs. Now that I do granite, I have to figure out what I'm going to do to support that. 1/2 square tubs are actually .625" only option is a round tub screwed into the frame extended out 8" of the 12" overhang.

btw: this guy only has two post support the length of the over hang. The 1st photo doesn't have it but the actual frame drawing has it. Do u think that'
add-columns-to-counter-overhang.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.