New - Day 3 of Slamming

Mar 16, 2015
Carmel, IN
I've been trolling the threads through the winter months and just opened my swamp on Sunday afternoon and began Slamming on Monday.

I expect it to take several weeks and it went from warm to cold again here. My biggest question are my CYA levels. My last reading (from the pool store just before closing last year was 300). That was before I even knew what it was. I understand not to trust the stores. That stated, I dumped about 60% of the water before I started on Monday. My wife went to a Leslie's on Tuesday and they told her is was 0. I certainly find the latter hard to believe. I would guess it was truly pretty high last fall as I blindly followed pool store instructions all summer as I'd just moved into the home and never owned a pool.

My readings after warming the water from sub-50 degrees on multiple test shows the dot nearly dissappearing are around the 20 mark.

My readings this evening were:

FC: 14
CC: 4
TA: 300 (high but that's what pool store said the other day also)
PH: was 7.6 when I started it

I scrub the walls daily and have vacuumed twice, but can't see the bottom at all. I know it takes time. Patience isn't my strong suit. Also I leave around 7:15 AM and can't address again until around 5 PM. I'll give it more love and attention on the weekend.

Finally If it helps anyone, at least here in the INDY area, Menard's has pool chlorine 12.5% on sale right now buy one get one free at $3.99 per 128 oz bottle. I nearly bought my store out. In fact, I have to return to get more of my purchase later this week.

~Steve (ftroop)

No. The electronic reading from the pool store last fall was 300. Of course I can't attest to the accuracy of that. Either way, I dumped 60% of the water.

I'm getting readings in the 20 range.

- - - Updated - - -

And it was a very cold winter many sub freezing days. Not sure if that chemistry makes the CYA disappear. I added a gallon of conditioner and now I'm getting the readings at 20 but I believe I read it could take a week to get the right readings at some point?

I am usually home to add more bleach if needed, but if I know I will be gone for several hours I bump my shock level up to make up for any loss due to the sun during the day. That keeps me very close to shock level.

Keep the SLAM going, especially at night. That's when your chlorine is most effective. Once you get home, brush the pool, test n SLAM it again.

This morning at 6:15, my FC was down to 6 and CC to 2 from last night's FC - 14 and CC - 4, so I treated and left for work.

They CYA test keeps puzzling me. If it was all lost in the winter and at 0, I'd think adding the gallon of Natural Chemistry Conditioner my was sold should have brought a 12K gallon pool to at least 23 based on the pool math. The question I'm having is whether or not I truly have a 12K pool? The 20 year old literature from the installer says its 12K, but every calculator I use suggests more like 16K.

It is a 14 x 28 pool, sloping from 3 ft to 8 ft on the deep end. The 3 sides on the deep end do slope in as well. I've been adding chemicals based on 12K, but so far they always fall a little short. I recall going into the pool store that installed it last summer and the lady saying something like "oh yeah, I know that pool" and saying it was 12K gallons, but again every calculation shows more. The CYA and bleach numbers are what have me wondering?

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.