Is my pump suppose to take water from the bottom Drains or just Skimmer ?

sgt173

Feb 10, 2015
Parrish,FL
I guess I have another dumb question here guys. :cool:
I've been trying to figure exactly how my plumbing works each part of the pools system when the pump is running.
So far all I can tell is that it is coming thru the skimmer basket only to the pump even if I shut it completely off towards the main drain.
The waterfall works great ,but I mostly leave it off except for a few time just to see it work, it causes my PH to rise up faster if I run it a lot , but nice to look at .Just running the in pool jets make it raise up enough on there own.
Does the water in the bottom of the pool go into the filter too at all or does that bottom drain just take water to the outside if the drain cap is on?
I have tried turning the skimmer off and the main drain on plus several other ways I can think of to see if it goes from the floor drain to pump as well.After each time I changed the levers I got in the pool and tried to see if it was sucking any water by holding a plastic bag next to it and never could tell it is taking any water thru it at all.
So does it only work thru the main drains if I open up the outside drain pipe?
I have it set to half way on each side the return drain and main drain. Unless I want to use the waterfall which I don't want to for now.
Sorry about it long explanation of what I am trying to say.Just curious way I cant feel anything going thru the floor drain and I have two of them BTW in the pool.Is it some kind of safety feather built in unless you are draining your pool completely,which I cant do here either because of the high water tables.Or so I was told when I moved here.
Just trying to figure all this stuff out, So I know Ya know? Never had a pool before but learning a lot here! :D
Thanks again
Sarge

If you have valves for the skimmer and the floor and close the skimmer and the water keeps flowing, it must be coming from the floor. The drains are designed such that you can not fee a lot of suction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.