New home owner question about double filters

Apr 19, 2015
Morton Illinois
I moved into my home about two months ago and decided to start up the pool early because I had no idea what I am doing. After some bad advice about copper algaecide and trichlor from the pool store I found this site and began SLAMing my pool with bleach. My green swamp is now a cloudy blue swamp after 8 days of SLAMing! Hooray! Anyways onto my question.

The previous homeowner left me one 77lbs and one 55lbs intex pool filters and a massive 3/4 HP pump with timer. I filled up the 77lbs sand filter and hooked it up but sometimes really fine particles get past the sand in the filter. This only happened when I was vacuuming up the algae **** on the bottom of the pool. I have since tried it with a cup of DE and none of the DE came through the filter. I hooked up the other filter in series with the larger filter and this has solved my problem but it reduces flow. I have a feeling the larger pump is causing the filter to blow by the smaller particles. with just one filter.

Would running the filters in parallel reduce pressure enough to solve my problem and improve flow or would it be a waste of time? Also, I have 2" lines running to pump and filter would I need to reduce the smaller filter to say 1.5" line to compensate for the smaller size? Would I need to have two outlet jets or could I "T" them back to the one outlet.

Or should I bite the bullet and buy a bigger single filter? I would really like to avoid spending that much money however.

Welcome to TFP!

Simply deep cleaning the sand bed of your larger filter might be enough to resolve things for at least a while. That will resettle the sand and get rid of any channeling.

Plumbing the filters in parallel is fine, as is combining the outputs to one hose/return jet. It does mean extra work cleaning two filters instead of one, and more hose joints that might fail.

Getting a single larger filter is certainly the best solution, but it is also the most expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.