Intex Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation)

DBlume

Apr 22, 2015
Spokane/WA
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) feature on Intex's new SWG? I have had several of Intex's SWG's in the past, I know they don't last long but if I get a summer out of them I am happier than dealing with gallons of bleach all summer.

I have looked around but can not find any reviews or information on E.C.O. in regards to pool sanitation. Is it an ozonator? Is there another name or search I should be looking under? I just want to know exactly what it is before I purchase for this summer season, I already learned that lesson with their copper system on my last SWG.

Welcome to TFP!

Having read through their sales material several times, I still can't tell if they mean ozone, or are simply describing what a regular SWG does using non-standard wording. Either way, it isn't worth paying anything extra over the standard unit.

Thank you Jason, long time reader and follower here. Sadly this model is so new there is no documentation on their website. I also called their customer service number which is always fun, of course I got no answers besides the "ECO process sanitizes the water making it safe", lol. Intex does have a SWG & Ozone system and it looks a lot different, so I don't think that is it.

Scouring the nets I was able to find some info on a water purification system that sounds similar: http://www.envirolyte.com/industrial-water-ionizers.html. The site says it produces slightly alkaline water, I wonder how much this will impact the pH?

Just surprised that I can not find any other pool systems that appear to use Electrocatalytic Oxidation, or at least any that I can identify. I just want to know what the system is doing to the pool chemistry. I used their last system with the copper ionizer that turned my daughter's hair green before I read on these forums that it is wise to unplug the electrode.

I started wondering about E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation). Initially, I thought it was marketing gimmick. However I am finding out that it is not. More recent things are popping up from google these days...

In summary the Intex ECO/AOP supplements the chlorine sanitizing process... reducing chlorine demand. Hayward has Ozone/AOP device to use with a chlorine pool over here here:
https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/hydrorite-uvo3 to use with their salt water system.

Here is description from Intex manual

HOW THE ELECTROCATALYTIC OXIDATION WORKS
The Electrocatalytic Oxidation (E.C.O.) is an Advanced Oxidation Processes (AOPs). When
direct current is applied to the electrocatalytic oxidation electrodes, water will be discharged to
generate “hydroxyl radicals”. The hydroxyl radical is a powerful oxidant, which oxidizes organic
contaminants, and destroys bacteria and algae. Hydroxyl radicals in combination with free
available chlorine provide the strongest and safest pool water sanitation.

Here some additional literature that delves into AOP/ECO

Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP)
https://www.poolspanews.com/how-to/...the-big-3-water-sanitizers-ozone-uv-and-aop_o
... Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP). AOP has been around for more than 30 years in the wastewater-treatment world, but has only recently become an affordable option for residential pools. In order to fully grasp AOP, one must first understand the nature of ozone and UV – as well as their performance
There are many forms of AOP, but the most common one – and the one available in the pool and spa industry – is made through a combination of ozone and UV. Combining ozone and UV technology into one cohesive system creates synergistic sanitation, which maximizes disinfection, water clarity, and chloramine removal.
In an AOP system, ozone gas is dissolved in water and then passes through a chamber with a germicidal ultraviolet lamp. When UV energy is combined with ozone, it creates a chemical reaction resulting in hydroxyl radicals - short-lived, but very powerful oxidizers that can kill pathogens and microorganisms, as well as destroy inorganic contaminants in the water. They’re even stronger oxidizers than ozone alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.