Anyway to control a Jandy JVA based on an aux or something else?

Dixit

Jul 16, 2012
Duluth, GA (ATL)
I have a combo pool/spa with an iAqualink as mentioned in my signature. So its already using the Intake/Return side JVAs for the pool/spa mode.

I also have a Caretaker infloor cleaner which is my main return technically. I also have a leaf B gone. These are only "returns" for the pool (well I also have a waterfall feature but we only use it when kids are in the pool, don't use it when its just circulating water since pH will keep rising).

So Ive been entertaining two things. One I have spare Aux ports on my Jandy system. Im not looking to add anything there but though it would be nice if I could basically use one of the Aux buttons to control say a JVA to say divert water to the water feature without having to go walk all the way where my pool equipment is and then change it back when we are done. I love using my phone/tablet to control stuff on there already like heating the spa and what not. So not sure how Id do this, there must be some relay and somehow a transformer I will need to put somewhere as the JVA cant take straight 120v/240v.

Secondly (above was my first), I want to replace my main pump with a variable speed one from Jandy. Now since I only have infloor return and the leaf b gone as my main circulating return, the Variable speed if turned down a good bit wont be able to popup any of the heads as it needs like 15psi. So what Id like to do is essentially put a JVA on the popup heads diverter valve (will show in picture below) to close when the variable speed pump is just running at low power mode, and then maybe schedule it 1-2hrs a day to run full power which then the valve would need to open to let the in floor popup heads do its work. So basically when its in low power mode, its really just returning water through the leaf b gone jet.

Not sure if Im asking for way to much here on this, but seems like it should be available, but clearly no one has really thought about doing this (meaning Jandy didn't intend on this being done this way).

Just some reference, this is an old shot when I didn't know what the valves/outputs did. The one labeled Pool return on my picture is actually the jet for my Leaf B gone.
bl7Nqs5.jpg

On the Hayward, you can not turn a valve actuator with the AUX relays. That said, most automation systems should have the ability to control 3-4 valves, just not sure about the Jandy controller.

It wont let me use the Solar, as it claims its used even though it isn't, I only have two JVAs, which is the Intake and Return one for the pool/spa combo. Claims the Cleaner one is free and I can assign it to an Aux. Im assuming I could that means if I enable that Aux that JVA is activated, so that would in theory work for the Waterfall one which I could put on the diverter for Waterfall/Leaf B gone.

But still don't know how id do the other one with the variable speed pump. Id try to talk to Jandy, but they never help me, always tell me to talk to a Pool professional, and most in my area are not that great on iAqualink, I know more than most on the iAqualink and what it can do. I do most of my own work mainly on this pool.

3isytDQ.png

Dixit

If the solar roof temperature sensor is installed the system will automatically allocate the solar JVA to solar and not let you use it for anything else.

Yes, assigning a JVA to an aux means that any time you turn that aux on/off the valve will move.

Pump speeds are setup in the pump part of the setup section, with various slots each with their own speed. Most of them are associated with specific modes, for example pool and spa speeds are hard wired to correspond to pool or spa mode. Some of the speeds are assignable to aux circuits.

If the solar roof temperature sensor is installed the system will automatically allocate the solar JVA to solar and not let you use it for anything else.

Yes, assigning a JVA to an aux means that any time you turn that aux on/off the valve will move.

Pump speeds are setup in the pump part of the setup section, with various slots each with their own speed. Most of them are associated with specific modes, for example pool and spa speeds are hard wired to correspond to pool or spa mode. Some of the speeds are assignable to aux circuits.

I don't have a roof solar temperature sensor installed, I just have the air temp sensor installed for the outside air which is just hanging near the box. May have to look at that solar temp sensor then unless that air temp sensor that is connected also makes that solar thing active.

I may have to look into this Pump speed side. Because Id like to have a slot allocated say slot1 for low speed, and water only diverts to the leaf b gone return (nothing else). So that JVA would have to activate to block off the floor cleaner popups. So when it goes to say slot2 where it could be full pump speed to activate the floor cleaners, the JVA has to open that up to let water divert there (and the leaf b gone which basically is always on). Then finally slot3 could be Spa mode, but that's pretty straight forward and standard as you said, its hardwired, it will just shift the two JVAs for the intake/return side and pump will be set to full tilt for the jets. I could even save have a slot4 for say Spa filtration not running full tilt, more just 1/4th speed. So the slot1/2 has to be able to drive the JVA say on/off for the floor cleaner side to either open or close it based on what slot is selected.

Then finally I can just assign a blank Aux which I have I think 2) to the waterfall JVA to open or close that which seems like that can be done easily today once I get the JVA.

Dixit

I'm doing the same thing as Dixit and found out you have to buy a Zodiac Aux JVA relay board 5254 for each JVA you want to assign to a relay. My iAquaLink is set up to control only 4 JVAs. Each JVA is connected to one of the 3 prong connectors on the control board. The relays plug into 2-prong connectors on the control board. It looks like the 5254 relay board plugs into the existing control board 2-prong connector and has a 3-prong connector to connect to and control the JVA. The 5254 boards are about $100.

WardL, you are correct about how to use relays to turn JVAs. However, that is not the situation Dixit is in. Dixit has not run out of JVA connectors yet, and is trying to get control over a JVA connected to the solar JVA connector.

Correct, I still haven't figured out how to take back control of the Solar JVA. I doubt Jandy support will help me, anytime I talk to them its always "if you are not a pool contractor, please call one in your area to help you". Which I think is a cop out, I just want to add some JVAs, I don't need a pool contractor for that, its simple work. **** I replaced the entire pump, filter, even rebuilt my heater when it was broken.

I even installed this iAqualink panel myself to replace the older RS8 that was on there to make it compatible. That was a joke to swap out. So the control board is even new as it came with the iAqualink kit.

Dixit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.