Sheer Descent Closed Up

jsv

Apr 21, 2015
Franklin, TN
Hello,

I read this forum quite a bit but this is my first post. We had a pool installed last year, in ground, vinyl liner, rectangle 16X32 with a salt system. There is a slate wall on one end with a 24" sheer descent in the middle with flagstone coping over the top. By the time construction was finished, we were only able to use the pool for three weeks or so before the season ended. We put a cover on it snd winterized it. We just opened the pool a couple of weeks ago and noticed the waterfall/sheet descent was not coming out evenly as it did last summer. Upon inspection, the descent track or opening has been pushed down or pinched by the rock on top to the point that its closed in a couple of spots. I couldnt find anything online about this. Considering most of these have some sort of stone or rock coping over them, seems like it would be a common problem of the weight of the stone constantly pushing down and warping the thin plastic opening of the descent. The pool guys said they can probably use a heat gun and wedge to reform and open up the track again. I'm hoping so, otherwise they will have to redo the wall and probably replace the descent. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this or any ideas on a fix?

Thanks,
Jason

We have two 24" Sheer descents. This sounds like an install problem IMHO. The water feature should not be weight bearing IMO. Mine are very rigid, but I don't like the idea of stacking a bunch of weight on them.

only proper repair will be to remove the rock and replace the plastic water feature box.

Have them redo the wall and decent(s). They will never be able to "heat and open" the opening and maintain the size of the opening throughout. It will be, look, and flow uneven. If they build the wall correctly, you wont have that problem no matter how much rock is on the wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.