Pool idea, looking for thoughts

SoonerWing

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 27, 2015
Tuttle/Oklahoma
If you have read any of my other posts you will know that I am trying to get a play pool (most important) and a diving pool with a spa and a tanning ledge. I have been all over the place and this morning I am exploring the idea of an L shaped pool as I feel that it would meet both of my needs. Obviously I am not a graphics guy and the diagram below is the best I could come up with. In actuality we would probably round off all of the corners and give a little bit of bend in the straight edges as well but this is a general idea.

What would you guess as a ballpark price for this pool?
Gunite:
Vinyl:

Also please share any general thoughts and suggestions as I am new and still learning.

L%20Shape%20Option%20small_zpsv1epoqmj.jpg

I've seen this liner shape numerous times on TFP. It may be very custom but not unusual. Perhaps the sunshelf would be the outlier though.
Plaster, with the spa, probably over $50K before you option it up. Then over $60K.
No real idea on vinyl but probably 25% less before options. No difference on options either way.
Prices excluding decking/walls/fence, etc.

This looks like a fairly common L-shaped vinyl pool to me. Seen some here on TFP.

My comment is on a 3-1/2 shallow end. Put a tape measure on everyone and note where 3-1/2 is when standing up in the pool.

Deep end is not long enough to dive in face first, my pool is a 20x40 traditional hopper style deep end with about 15 ft long shallow end and more than one person has kissed the bottom diving out too far off the diving board. One teenage girl almost lost a tooth doing, and ended up having to keep braces on her teeth an extra year, wow that was almost 30 years ago, the exact point of impact her braces ripped a thumb size hole in the liner.

Ike

p.s. usual kissing point is in about 5-5.5 ft of water about 20-22 ft out from the edge of the deep end of the pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can't help on the prices, sorry. I would do 48" depth rather than the 3' 6". Still great for play. I had an above ground pool that was deeper than the standard at 48" and it was great. I just put in an IG and upgraded to the taller 48" walls vinyl). If price gets out of hand I'd skip the tanning ledge. They are really cool but you can tan just outside the pool (you'll be on a lounger anyway). Just my opinion, others would not do w/o it. Things not to skip to due to cost: lights, plumbing for Polaris (can get for free by asking, simple pvc pipe run back to equipment), liner over steel stairs (if vinyl liner). You can always add a heater or swg the next year but you can't add lights or change the plastic steps to steel covered w the liner (w/o tremendous cost). Rome wasn't built in a day so know you can go without a patio for a year or two (put down grass or pea gravel) until you can afford the decking (assuming $ is a factor). Good luck!
-Chris

By my rough calculations that is a 705sqft pool with 24700 gallons and 134 ln ft. Plus that isn't including the spa. That is a huge pool! At least these numbers might help you get a grasp on what you are looking at size wise when factoring in cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.