New pool owner

Tek

Mar 20, 2015
Louisville, KY
Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker on this site since I made an offer to buy a house back in March. I know nothing about pools, but I feel that I've learned more in the month or so that I've spent on this site and browsing the internet for additional information.

You can see my pool info below and I'm nearing the time frame that I will want to open my pool. Still waiting on this tree near the pool to shed all of its helicopter things. This pool was installed in 2009 and the previous owners gave me the number of the guy that installed it. They said they would open the pool themselves, but use him to close. Since I feel pretty unsure about opening as far as the fittings and what not, I gave him a call about helping me open the pool then educating me on the ins and outs. I already have the tf-100 test kit so I'm good to go once the pool is open to start testing the water. The guy quoted me 300 to open the pool and 300 to close it. I asked him about using bleach instead of the 3 inch tabs that the previous owners left. He started laughing and was like no, do not do that...then he said no you can as long as you are prepared to have me replace your liner in a couple of years for 3 grand. He said using bleach will cause the liner to become brittle. He suggested the best thing to do is use the Pool Frog and cut the top off of one of the bac pacs and use 1 inch tablets in there. There is actually a bac pac canister already in there that has the top cut off so I guess the previous owners were doing that but with the 3 inch tabs since that is all that is left.

As far as chemicals left there are those 3 inch tabs I told you about, some soda ash and a PH decreaser...oh and a few test strips. They also left me a bottle to use to have the water tested by Leslies. They were like whatever is wrong, just take a sample to them and they tell you what you need. Which is a big waste of time from what I read here. I'm just confused why the guy that is a fox pool dealer and has been installing/maintaining pools for 15 years would have that outlook on using bleach. I mean bleach and chlorine is the same stuff. I like to put some trust into the guy that has been in the business for so long and I'm new to all of this.

It is kind of frustrating to hear two different sides to maintaining your pool and I would assume this is just his ignorance because its not like he is affiliated with a pool store in which he would sell me chemicals...

Welcome to TFP!!

It's really just his misunderstanding of science. It was the way he was taught. Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. A Salt Water Chlorine Generator, Bleach, dichlor (powder shock), trichlor (tabs), cal hypo all deliver the exact same chlorine chemical - its just that each of them come along with a byproduct. Some you can live with easily, like the minor amount of salt that chlorine leaves behind. Some you need to monitor and regulate, like the CYA dichlor and trichlor leave behind.

Ignorance is a good word, he just doesn't know.

Don't throw away the tabs, but you can ditch the test strips. You may need to use them for vacation or other times when you will not be able to add chlorine to the pool.

You can even keep the water bottle. When I'm really bored I fill up a couple of them and head to the pool store to see what they say about my water. Or, what they are trying to sell today.

The two things we really likie around here are photos and test results - So, what do you have to show us?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Pretty simple and I'm not going to bash the guy. You are right, Bleach is Chlorine period. Once they are in the water, Tabs or Chlorine Bleach are that. Chlorine. There are a lot of people that believe differently, but it is only out of ignorance that they do. It's not our opinion, it's just scientific fact.

We prefer Bleach/Liquid Chlorine because it has fewer side effects like adding stabilizer. That we prefer to control separately. Cya=Cyanuric Acid=Stabilizer/Conditioner. When you add it by pucks/tabs forever, you have no control of stabilizer. It just keeps going in forever. People with too much in the pool is about the most common problem we see year in, year out because of this fact. Some other dry Chlorine adds Calcium. That's bad for people like me who already have too much in their fill water. Adding that form makes that situation worse, but pool stores don't tell you that. They are only motivated to sell, and keep you uneducated so that you return. In the end, it's fine to use these products as long as you understand how to deal with and control the side effects. We really aren't about what you use, we are about understanding why, and what happens when you use it.

One thing is certain though, you will have to decide if you want to control all the chemistry yourself, or take the advice of the pool store/service. If you do it yourself, you'll need to learn a little, test your own water, and add your own products. It's really very easy. If you do this, the first two things you need are a little knowledge, and a good, proper test kit. Start with the ABC's in Pool school for the knowledge and information about the kits. All those links are in my signature line. Hope you stick around a bit more and see what we are about. Good to have you with us.

I found out the hard way. Ditch the test strips. All the talk about a good test kit is the truth. I feel much better at the start of this season compared to last. I'm just up from I-71 from you so our conditions are much the same. I don't mind using the tabs if I know my CYA is low. Otherwise I stick with the bleach.

I had zero interest in using the test kits since I rather use the TF-100 test kit I got :D

I'm shooting to get the pool opened by the 8th since we had some rather cool nights here. Lows in the 40s, right now its only 57 degrees. I took some pictures of my setup. The pool guy told me one of the deck jets is blown and he can't fix it so he went ahead of plugged it. Kind of a bummer but I have separate valves for each jet so I can use 3 out of the 4. I have that fox pool cover that locks into the pool. I've read up that it can be a major PITA. Any thoughts on the pool frog? Could I pour the bleach directly into that or should I pour it into the pool itself?

I agree about the tabs, I want to see what my CYA reading is first before I decide how to treat the pool. I wouldn't do any readings until the pump has ran for awhile right? Of course I will share my first readings with the forum to get some opinions. I saw a tab floater too so I'm going to imagine that since this previous owner had tabs, a pool frog and the tab floater, the CYA should be pretty high. I wouldn't think he would use both the frog and the floater since that seems like overkill...but I wouldn't be surprised.

Here are some current pictures of my setup..

hHzSHIK.jpg

gbVdcOT.jpg

dS9CeHt.jpg

This is what the pool looks like currently. All of those wonderful helicopters! You have steps in the forefront and then buddy seats near the fence.

6ZKuvvv.jpg

When I first moved in the water was like this. I'm surprised that cover held! I ended up pumping the water and it took quite a bit of time.

TmMHtXn.jpg

This is what it looked like near the end. I didn't get every bit of water off of it as I didn't want it to stain the cover.

The pool apparently goes from 3ft to 9ft deep.

Yes, you need to circulate the pool before you take any readings with your test kit.

I would ignore the frog and look to set up some sort of automation - SWCG or Stenner pump.

Sorry I missed that about the Tf-100 I tend to scan long posts too lightly sometimes I guess.

Depending on current condition you may have low Cya. If it has gone green, you may be low.

Open it up, run for a few to several hours and test. Post back and we will see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had zero interest in using the test kits since I rather use the TF-100 test kit I got :D

I'm shooting to get the pool opened by the 8th since we had some rather cool nights here. Lows in the 40s, right now its only 57 degrees. I took some pictures of my setup. The pool guy told me one of the deck jets is blown and he can't fix it so he went ahead of plugged it. Kind of a bummer but I have separate valves for each jet so I can use 3 out of the 4. I have that fox pool cover that locks into the pool. I've read up that it can be a major PITA. Any thoughts on the pool frog? Could I pour the bleach directly into that or should I pour it into the pool itself?

I agree about the tabs, I want to see what my CYA reading is first before I decide how to treat the pool. I wouldn't do any readings until the pump has ran for awhile right? Of course I will share my first readings with the forum to get some opinions. I saw a tab floater too so I'm going to imagine that since this previous owner had tabs, a pool frog and the tab floater, the CYA should be pretty high. I wouldn't think he would use both the frog and the floater since that seems like overkill...but I wouldn't be surprised.

Even colder tonight with frost...

Yep, pretty darn chilly this morning. Too cold to even mow the grass! :p

I'm wondering if spending 300 to get the pool opened is worth it. I asked the guy what he would do and he said, "take off the cover, clean it, clean the pool, brush, vac, put all the plugs, fittings back in, educate you on the pool system."

Didn't say anything about adding chemicals, but I feel that I've learned a lot just reading these forums already. The only thing I really don't know is how to install the eyeballs, removing the plugs from the returns. 300 is a lot of money when I've been spending quite a bit already due to buying this house. I feel that perhaps it is a better cost to value on the closing than the opening.

I had my pool built for the start of last summer. Never owned or maintained a pool before in my life. Found this site about a year and a half ago. Not only did I maintain my pool on my own all last summer, but I also winterized and closed my pool in the fall and I'll be opening it myself this spring, probably within the next few weeks. In my opinion, there are more then enough knowledgeable people on this forum that can answer all of your questions. You can definitely do it on your own.

The only thing I would use caution with if you decide to do it all on your own, is during the winterization. You definitely need to make sure you get the lines clear so they don't freeze. I opted to buy a cyclone blower for $300, which is specifically designed for blowing out pool lines, instead of paying my pool builder $300. Now I have the blower so I can close the pool myself every year at no additional cost. Some people use a shop vac to blow out the lines, but my shop vac just wasn't strong enough.

Bottom line, you can do it with the help of the people on this site.

I agree with Task. Save the $300. You've got this site and a camera so you've got all kinds of help. It is always easy to snap a pic and post on here. Someone on here has been in your shoes before, no matter what the issue.

Yeah I feel that way too. I think I'm going to get my friend to help me and give it a go myself. Any suggestions for how to clean the pool cover? There is a plastic trash can that has a sticker on it for Fox Pool Cover, but in reality its a trash can :)

Should I just lay it out and use the a hose and soap? Use the brush as well on it?

Opening is the easiest to do. Hardest part is taking off the cover. Helps to have extra hands for that. The rest is very doable.

Closing is something that's more difficult (still relatively easy) that goes better when you have some experience and the proper equipment.

So since I'm doing my first opening ever as a new pool owner I did have a couple of questions about some items I had. I didn't want to create a new thread so I hope this is ok...

I noticed with my returns, I have these black nozzles. Where would these go?

qbqd8Or.jpg

Apparently I store my cover inside of this umm "Fox cover keeper" garbage can. I noticed this sawdust type of material, any idea what this is?

90abTCj.jpg

A27VCLF.jpg

Should I order this cover cleaner or is there a similar product I could use?

ldK3Tza.jpg

At any rate the guy that built the pool and offered to open it for 300 will not answer me back about these questions since I told him I would open myself so I'm hoping you guys can help.

Such a generous offer. If I sold my house, I'd offer to come over and go through first opening at no charge. I'd include it in the contract. Maybe I'm too nice.

I think I probably should have included that in my offer now that everything is said and done. At any rate, I'm dealt with the cards I have so I feel confident that I can figure it out on my own. Any ideas on those black nozzles I posted in my first picture? Are those for the deck jets? Buddy seats?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.