Heater wiring, no control, pentair intelliflo

May 2, 2013
Dallas area
Hello - I have a pool only, no spa. I have a Pentair intellifo, swg, intermatic timer pf1202t, and a booter pump for a cleaner. How would I wire in a gas heater? I know it should turn off 20 min before the pump and this could work with the firemans switch and the pf1202 but the pf1202 does not control the pump. The pump controls itself.

What are my options?

Anthony

Thanks again - I was planning on buying a Pentair only because I have all other Pentair products and have been happy with them. The unit's instruction manual states the following.

"The filter pump should run continuously when the heater is on, and for at least 5 minutes after the heater turns off. Any switches in the pump circuit (including circuit breakers) that can disconnect the pump must also disconnect the heater."

So, it looks like my options are to find another heater or get a control that can handle the heater and the Intelliflo. I will look at Hayward later today. Would something as simple as the Suntouch work? If I am going to get a control, I might as well add the cleaner pump and the SWG to it. Maybe even the light.

Any thoughts?

Anthony

I know that the pump has its own timer and it is nice to use what you paid for, however, think about this. The pumps internal timer has the ability to recover from a power outage. A mechanical timer (that controls your cleaner booster pump?) does not. Having those two pumps synced is critical for the well being of the cleaner pump seal. A power outage at just the right time for just the right length of time can leave that seal vulnerable to a "running dry" situation. That current controlled relay sounds like a good idea, but would that work in this situation? If it did, im sure it can only protect the pump from coming on. Resetting the timers would still need to be addressed (by a human) after the power loss, and if you were on vacation....

What we do is just run both the filter pump and cleaner with mechanical timers, or some sort of automation, and disable the internal timer. It was a good idea for the manufactures to integrate timers into their software. It appears that they just didn't consider the power outage scenario with another pump. The important thing (I think) is to have both the pumps controlled by the same type of timer.

I can not think of a heater today that still required a fireman switch. This was necessary when most used a fire tile inside the heater that remained hot when the heater shut down and could melt piping down stream. Most major heaters today use a file tile that is cool when the heater shuts off, eliminating the need for the fireman switch. Since you have a Pentair VS pump you are looking for a controller it would be easier to connect with a Pentair controller. Just make sure it will control the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How about the current Raypac 2100 series. I just had a 400 Btu low Lox installed. About to install Easy Touch controller. What if any cool down should I set?

Raypak's are very forgiving. But if you feel more comfortable having a cool down configured, 5 to 10 minutes should be fine. These units cool down pretty fast.

Raypaks' Capron header was designed for just this kind of problem, but i have still seen them melt the unions, especially after a spa heating cycle, where the internal temps are higher than say heating the pool. A delay or firemans switch is a good idea if for nothing else but piece of mind.

Easytouch has a delay built in to it. No extra setting needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.