Tail end of the SLAM process directions

Mar 22, 2015
Bossier City, LA
So I took the pool from green swamp with very little debris to almost all the way clear. This is where I think I'm lacking direction.
Slammed at 22.0 FC for 4 days. Its now getting clearer by the hour.
So, My questions is at what point is it safe to let the FC drop to the suggested levels of 4-5 with a CYA of 45?

Plaster pool
Bleach for Chlorine.

Welcome to TFP!

You are done with the SLAM when:
  • CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels. For more complete information on the SLAM Process, click this link: SLAM Process

Another handy reference when SLAMming and for ongoing maintenance of the proper level of FC: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Welcome! :wave:

You're no doubt testing FC & CC every few hours. If you time things right, you'll do your last test of the evening after the sun sets, and the first in the morning before the sun hits, and you'll know when you passed the overnight loss and CC tests. "The water is clear" test is more subjective, but if you have passed the other two and the water isn't cloudy immediately after brushing, then you're done.

FC= Free Chlorine (Unused)- When you add Chlorine to your pool it is available to be used as a disinfectant
CC- When your FC attacks stuff in your pool it becomes CC which is no longer able to be used as a disinfectant

CC are actually what causes the Chlorine smell, and hurts your eyes. More FC (unused) gets rid of CC, and once you have a good level of FC there will be nothing left to kill!

(That's my newbie understanding anyways)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.