Too many questions....

Apr 19, 2015
Frisco
Dear all,

We are new to this site and are in the market for finding a reliable builder to build our first pool. We live in NE Dallas where there are several foundation problem reported in our neighbourhood. There were 6 houses on my street already got their foundation repaired under 10 years warranty. My neighbour next to us is in the process of repairing their house foundation. The big cracks just showed after 8.5 years living there while another neighbour on my left side already repaired their house foundation 2 years ago....Our house DONT have any serious cracks but 2-3 minor cracks. So here are my questions:

1. Should I find an independent inspector to make sure if we have/dont have any foundation issue BEFORE we build the pool? Our house is 7.5 years old, we originally plan to have an inspection when reach 9 years (provided no other signigicant cracks issue before 9 years mark)

2. If the inspector confirm we dont have foundation problem now, we are not sure if we will have foundation issue in the future....does it mean we need some kind of injection in the granuite when we build the pool structure?? How many of you have done it before?? Will the injection help to stablise the soil for a certain years or forever?? How much does it cost??

3. When is the best season to build a swimming pool?? Will building a pool in non peak season cheaper than peak season?? Which month is the best time to build a pool in your experience?? I heard someone mentioned there is some tax benefit if build the pool in Nov. Anyone heard the same thing and why??

4. Some friends recommended the PB they like but then when I called them, I got totally different experience. May be I should ask for the specific sales person who worked with them?? But now, we already started the conversation with a sales we do NOT like...

5. SO far, we have met with Foley, Gold Medal, M Christopher, Hauk and Riverbend sandler. We absolutely DONT like the sales in Foley, Gold Medal and Hauk, they were pushy, not listening to what we want and arrogant. Gold Medal did NOT even give any break down in the cost while Foley sales did NOT even come out to look at our yard by himself. He just sent someone to come measure it

6. What is your preferred builder and do you mind to share the sales person's name and how much you spend on your pool??

Thank you

Hi, welcome to TFP! Just because the homes in your neighborhood have foundation issues does not necessarily mean your pool will have stability issues. The problem may be how the foundations where engineered and prepped. Ask the pool builder if they include a soil test as part of the pool build. A soil test will tell them if the yard will need any special preparation for an inground pool.

Dear all,

We are new to this site and are in the market for finding a reliable builder to build our first pool. We live in NE Dallas where there are several foundation problem reported in our neighbourhood. There were 6 houses on my street already got their foundation repaired under 10 years warranty. My neighbour next to us is in the process of repairing their house foundation. The big cracks just showed after 8.5 years living there while another neighbour on my left side already repaired their house foundation 2 years ago....Our house DONT have any serious cracks but 2-3 minor cracks. So here are my questions:

1. Should I find an independent inspector to make sure if we have/dont have any foundation issue BEFORE we build the pool? Our house is 7.5 years old, we originally plan to have an inspection when reach 9 years (provided no other signigicant cracks issue before 9 years mark) - Doesn't seem necessary.

2. If the inspector confirm we dont have foundation problem now, we are not sure if we will have foundation issue in the future....does it mean we need some kind of injection in the granuite when we build the pool structure?? How many of you have done it before?? Will the injection help to stablise the soil for a certain years or forever?? How much does it cost?? - I didn't.

3. When is the best season to build a swimming pool?? Will building a pool in non peak season cheaper than peak season?? Which month is the best time to build a pool in your experience?? I heard someone mentioned there is some tax benefit if build the pool in Nov. Anyone heard the same thing and why?? - no, that is a myth. At least for reputable builders

4. Some friends recommended the PB they like but then when I called them, I got totally different experience. May be I should ask for the specific sales person who worked with them?? But now, we already started the conversation with a sales we do NOT like... - I would not deal with someone you don't like, this isn't usually an easy process and dealing with someone you like will help.

5. SO far, we have met with Foley, Gold Medal, M Christopher, Hauk and Riverbend sandler. We absolutely DONT like the sales in Foley, Gold Medal and Hauk, they were pushy, not listening to what we want and arrogant. Gold Medal did NOT even give any break down in the cost while Foley sales did NOT even come out to look at our yard by himself. He just sent someone to come measure it - My neighbor of 8 years built my pool, no bids no contract, and I still like him. They have been building pools for 30 years in DFW. I would gladly recommend them, http://www.reberandco.com/

6. What is your preferred builder and do you mind to share the sales person's name and how much you spend on your pool?? - see above

Thank you

I inserted my answers in your text above.

Our house was built in 1975, it had 20ish piers installed under it about 10 years ago and it still moves. Our pool and deck moved the very first year it was built. We put a micro irrigation system around the pool and it all went back together, same for the house. The key to avoiding movement in this black clay we live in is to maintain consistent moisture content in the soil. All those people talking about soaker hoses are not wrong. That is why foundation watering is still allowed even in stage 3 water restrictions.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and welcome to TFP!

Feel free to ask me any questions at all. Glad to help.

Not only could the houses be victims of poorly engineered and prepped foundations, the soil where they were built could have been improperly prepped or not of the appropriate type and not let sit undisturbed long enough if the development was subject to significant fill areas for directing surface water runoff.

Are your houses built on slabs or do they have basements? What can you find in the original subdivision plat maps that should show prior existing surface elevations and plans for as built elevations? Your individual lot should have same with construction permits. A visit to the city or county offices overseeing development and construction could prove invaluable in answering these questions. With all the existing issues, they probably have the files sitting on someone's desk and even have access to the original core sample results that were likely taken when the subdivision was platted.

Agree with Zea, a good builder in the area should be able to test for you prior to work if you express the concerns.

There is a point where the tax benefit will happen. The reason is because if your property value will be raised once you pass the final inspection and they turn that over to the county tax assessor. It depends on the appraisal cycle. I don't remember how much they added to our property value, but it wasn't the whole amount we paid for the pool.

:batman: I would question the simple statement on whether there is a tax 'benefit' in timing. :batman:

Adding value to your property in the form of improvements is going to increase your property taxes, period. It may be possible to delay the increased amount to the point where you skip to the next assessment cycle, that will help you with your millage or % tax * assessed value for one tax year. That amount on your taxes could be a few to several hundred dollars, but once you start paying it you will continue to pay it. Personally I would not let that dictate when my pool is constructed. Your other questions and areas of concern are much more important in resolving IMO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.