My parents have an Above Ground Pool purchased from Watson's. Sorry I can't add all info in signature from my mobile. It is a 33' x 52" round running SwimPro SW256TPAKS filter and UtiliTech 1.5 HP pump. It is steel wall, vinyl liner and some type of plastic/resin top and posts. Last year after replacing the pool, my mom was swindled into purchasing PermaSalt system 454007, after being told it was a salt system. We did everything as instructed and during the 3rd month the water started getting cloudy and then turned green. We later found out that for our size pool it goes through two chambers a season! We never replaced the chamber and closed the pool for winter. I started getting the leaves off the cover today as its time to open the pool, hopefully without draining it.

Does anyone make a salt system for this large 25,000 gallons AGP? Should we use salt or try the TFP method? Would an in-ground system work on AGP? Please keep in mind the cover is still on, so I don't have any test results yet. Thanks for all your help!!

Welcome! :wave:

Of course you can use the TFP method with salt! We're not opposed to saltwater generators at all. We're actually not opposed to any chemical, as long as your pool needs it and it doesn't add any unwanted byproducts. We preach self-testing and only adding what is necessary, from the cheapest source possible. That's not incompatible with salt. It is incompatible with proprietary miracle sanitizers that add metal ions or huge quantities of stabilizer.

I'll let someone who actually has a SWG answer the questions about the SWG, because I don't have one, myself. I'm outside often enough smoking that it's no big deal to grab the jug and dump in some bleach every day.

Welcome to TFP!

I don't know of any SWG systems designed for an above ground pool that large. It is possible to use two at the same time, but using a larger in-ground unit would be better if possible. You can use an in-ground SWG on an above ground pool as long as the SWG can be hard wired, and the pool is bonded.

When switching from PermaSalt, you need to check your dissolved copper level. If it is too high you with either need to replace water to get it down, or use sequestrant to prevent it from forming stains.

That copper wire sounds like bonding. There isn't really anything else it could be. Most of the boding system is buried, and it sounds like it heads of underground to meet up with the buried portion of the bonding system.

As an update, we finally got all the rain water and leaves off the cover, and the cover is off! The water itself is clear and possibly algae/green stuff is on the bottom. I'm running the auto-vac now. After the vac is done and we are back washed I will test the water and most likely SLAM

I assume from your comments the PermaSalt is being retired....

You want to bring that pH up a little and get some chlorine in the water if the test strips are even close.

Until you get a real test kit I would add a bottle of bleach each day until you can get some good tests conducted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.