Programming Pentair VS with iAqualink RS

wysocki

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Covina,CA
Wow, what a great forum I've stumbled upon here! About to undertake a big DIY project and I'm a computer tech by trade and have wired everything from houses to circuit boards. Gotta admit I'm a little cloudy here.

After getting a lot of opinions online, I bought a Pentair VS and IQ20-RS. From what I understand, the IQ20-RS will be easy to replace the current RS4 (rev.HH) control box. Then I'll swap in the Pentair, going direct to breaker and getting the yellow & green wires on the right (#2-#3) connectors. Easy connection to my wifi or ethernet. Then what?

I've looked at the Aqualink RS installation manual, which in section "4.5 Variable Speed Pump Menu" covers a lot of settings on the RS. However, I'm puzzled as to how to configure everything together for easy use. I'd also like to keep the spa functionally separate from the pool (so it isn't always dumping my nice hot spa water out!). Functions that I foresee are:
  1. Low speed regular cleaning.
  2. Higher speed pool vac and/or skimmer operation.
  3. Low speed spa cleaning (separate from pool circulation).
  4. High speed spa use.
  5. Heating (pool or spa).
  6. Waterfall spillover (to be rarely used)
Since I only have an RS4 All Button, I guess some of these functions will only be accessible via web interface, right? (Maybe I could add a PDA to the mix?)

Can anyone point me to where I might get guidance on setting up the new controller to get my system to perform these functions (both scheduled and on-demand)? I get the impression that the new AUX4-7 are used for this somehow. Has anyone already created some sort of setup guide like this?
Thanks in advance!

If you have a shared equipment setup you do not want to keep the pool and spa separate. That kind of setup is designed on the premise that the spa is completely refreshed from the pool every day. You only heat the spa when you are about to use it. Trying to run it in some other way is going to be tricky.

You function 1 is going to be PUMP in Aqualink naming. Function 4 is going to be SPA. Function 2 should probably be CLEANER, though there are other ways to do it. I wouldn't have Function 3, and instead use SPILLOVER.

Their manual is not so bad. I don't know of a good tutorial. Mostly people have it setup by the installer, so it doesn't come up that often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.