Convincing my wife we need a sand filter......

Apr 16, 2013
Eatonton Georgia
I have the pool setup listed in my signature and it was bought at one of the " Rec Warehouse" places a few years ago before they went belly up. I have never from day one been convinced that the "hang on the side cartridge filter" was adequate, my research on it led me to believe it was a spa filter, but I've soldiered along for a few years now, ordering filters and replacing them when needed and rinsing them daily. There is no timer and the pump runs 24/7 in the summer. Wouldn't even an Intex sand filter be a better option? I think it would but the trouble is we just ordered cartridges that are on the way and she says we will have wasted the money on them. Or am I the one that's all wrong here? Would not be the first time!
Michael

Well, like I said, if you look up that Waterway Flo Pro II wide mouth skimfilter, it's for a freakin hot tub! When we got that pool, minus the Intex SWG, they quoted us 800 dollars on the phone for the whole package. My wife asked them twice because it sounded low. We drove two vehicles, mine without air conditioning, 50 miles one way to get it and haul it all and then when we got there, they tried to say there was no way they could sell it to us for that and jack up the price by several hundred dollars. After I about went ballistic, my wife talked to the manager, and we got it for the quoted price. I always thought though that they skimped on the filter to save themselves some bucks. Then the ladder had pieces missing, but that's another story..... no wonder they are no longer in business!
Michael

Sand filter for sure! Even a small 14 inch filter would be better, 16 inch even more so... 18 even better. You get the idea. If you can, I'd even look at Pentair or Hayward or other brands. Intex is fine, but the components on the more established brands will be better quality.

Just return the filters you have ordered.

+1 for get a sand filter, you won't regret it!

Worth looking for a used filter/pump set on craigslist, ebay etc. I got a Emaux FSF350 filter & pump set in perfect condition for about $100, even came with plumbing to fit my pool as a bonus! Just needed a deep clean and was good to go (would have been easier still to change the sand)

If your pump is all good then you should be able to pick up a used sand filter to go with it for very little cash

Edit to add for the unwary - be sure to start up a new sand filter on backwash and then a good rinse before putting it on circulation, otherwise you will end up with a cloudy yellow pool (not that I'm talking from experience LOL)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, it's just fines....

Put the filter in BackWash mode first, do that until clear water comes out, then a nice rinse before putting it to filter.

Incase you don't know, never make these changes to your multi-port valve while the pump is running.

Well I got the sand filter. It's not a big one, a 14" with a 3/4 horsepower motor and it's an Intex but that's all I could afford. Still, it's got to be better than dealing with that cartridge skimmer filter that has been driving me crazy and killing me for years! Speaking of stuff killing me, I finally got around to doing some plumbing work and getting a hose bib up closer to the pool. It involved going into the crawlspace of my house which isn't as easy as it used to be for me since I just turned 52 this past year. I also had to wrestle with getting the sand in the filter and that stuff isn't exactly light! I could barely get out of bed this morning!
I didn't quite get the changeover finished yesterday and it's a rainy day today but I have to go into town and run some errands for odds and ends anyway.
Pool is looking like it's going to need a SLAM too after I get the filter changeover done but no worries as I have my TF-100 kit right here. Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep everyone updated how it's going.
Regards,
Michael

You will love the sand filter. I hear you about getting older. I am 47 and I am all about hiring someone to do the DIY things I used to love. My body does not enjoy that stuff anymore.

The weather actually stayed pretty clear here after some morning rain but I had already promised my lovely wife I would run errands for her and grocery shop so I was gone for a good part of the day. I got back in time to get the hoses sorted out and connected and do the backwash and rinse but about that time the thunderstorms moved in. Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous so I hope to finally fire up everything and then begin getting a handle on the pool chemistry. Water is only a light green right now but I haven't added any bleach in at least a week and the salt system has been down longer than that because of a low salt warning so I'm sure I've got some work to do. How long does everyone think I should run the new filter before performing test to access the condition of the water?

Yes, I guess we all hate getting older. I still have the knowledge accrued over the years to do many task but sometimes the physical part of it really whips me. That plumbing job was an example just because of having to crawl in and out of the crawl space several times. Speaking of plumbing, I worked as an apprentice for awhile before changing careers and looking at some of those Intex hoses I've got running around and the way they are adapted to my metal wall pool and it's skimmer already screams at me that I should hard plumb the whole deal at some point. Is there really any advantage to doing it besides it making it look better to me?

The weather actually stayed pretty clear here after some morning rain but I had already promised my lovely wife I would run errands for her and grocery shop so I was gone for a good part of the day. I got back in time to get the hoses sorted out and connected and do the backwash and rinse but about that time the thunderstorms moved in. Tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous so I hope to finally fire up everything and then begin getting a handle on the pool chemistry. Water is only a light green right now but I haven't added any bleach in at least a week and the salt system has been down longer than that because of a low salt warning so I'm sure I've got some work to do. How long does everyone think I should run the new filter before performing test to access the condition of the water?

Yes, I guess we all hate getting older. I still have the knowledge accrued over the years to do many task but sometimes the physical part of it really whips me. That plumbing job was an example just because of having to crawl in and out of the crawl space several times. Speaking of plumbing, I worked as an apprentice for awhile before changing careers and looking at some of those Intex hoses I've got running around and the way they are adapted to my metal wall pool and it's skimmer already screams at me that I should hard plumb the whole deal at some point. Is there really any advantage to doing it besides it making it look better to me?

Hard plumbing also gives you much better flow. I need to do it for my solar but...in due time, I suppose.

Hard plumbing also gives you much better flow. I need to do it for my solar but...in due time, I suppose.
I'm doing it at least part way right now. Dummy me just totally overlooked that by using the old cartridge skim filter housing and the Intex hose that there was no way to shut off the flow of water from the pool when I wanted to clean out the strainer basket on at the intake of the pump. The skim filter has it's own basket up high by the skimmer and I could use that but I'd rather not. Better to just go ahead and get this ball valve in line. it will make my life easier in other ways too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.