Electric heat pump is the winner !! Now which one and what size .....

Jun 14, 2009
Hello all,

Thanks to all, between the good people on this site and some exhausting internet searches/reads and phone calls/visits to various pool companies in the area I decided the heat pump would be best for me.

I have basically narrowed it down to two makes, aquacal and aquacomfort.

Does anybody have any experiences, comments, options with or about these companies ?

Also I don't understand something, and this happened with both vendors I am dealing with.

When I was considering going propane, every pool company I spoke to always offer the biggest propane heater they had the 400,000 BTU unit.

Would it not make sense to buy the biggest heat pump unit also ? both makes mentioned above have a 140,000 BTU unit but both companies are offering me the 125,000 BTU unit.

Just wondering why bigger isn't better ? more BTU's more heat :confused:

Thanks Donny ....

I did look into that one when Leslie's keep trying to sell me the Hayward Heat Master (another instance of trying to sell me the smaller unit) ?? I asked the sales rep why I couldn't buy the bigger unit and was told the Heat Pro has 2 inch pipes but your pool has 1 1/2 pipes ??? Would that make it not usable for me ? I ask the sales rep why I couldn't just use a pipe reducer/expander and he couldn't answer.

This whole transaction with Leslie's left a bad taste in my mouth ... They have the unit at $4800, I found it at a different website for $1500 less and they would not price match.

Anyway, this brings up another question, if I do decide to buy it thru the internet is this a DYI type item ? I mean I would have an electrician do the electrical part, run the 220v/50 amp connection to where my filter/pump is located but to install seems pretty straight forward pipe in ...pipe out ... plug in ....

If you are familiar and comfortable with plumbing then yes the plumbing is definitely DIY. And yes you can get 1-1/2" to 2" reducers to plumb it. It is not "plug in" though, it is hard wired directly to the breaker.

I also agree with you that getting the bigger model is best, your pool is pretty big.

- - - Updated - - -

Also agree on shopping around, but be sure to factor in shipping costs.

Thanks Donny and pooldv .....

From what I have seen on most of the pool websites I have visited they offer free shipping and no sales tax ....

So if it has to be hard wired I will make sure I have the unit before the electricity is ran, and I think I can install it. If I run into any issue I guess I could always call the professionals

From what I have seen on most of the pool websites I have visited they offer free shipping and no sales tax ....

So if it has to be hard wired I will make sure I have the unit before the electricity is ran, and I think I can install it. If I run into any issue I guess I could always call the professionals

Exactly what I would do.

Yes ... Hayward doesn't even sell that model anymore and I can't find it for sale on ANY website.

I'm not sure why Leslie's is the only company that has it and it just looks to me like they are trying to unload a surplus of end of life heat pumps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in the exactly same boat as you, going with a heat pump as well. I'm finishing up with an additional 60amp service right now and will be purchasing the heat pump within next couple days. I was initially looking at the Jandy heat pumps as all my equipment is Jandy, but now just about settled on the Rheem heater. I have few friends all using this unit and are pretty happy wit them. Anyone using them on here?
Here's the heat pump I'm looking at. Just still need to decide if I want to do a 125k btu or 113 as I don't have a large pool.

Here's the heater I'm looking at
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=300834001701

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have an aquacal and it rocks...though I did not do the install, I could have.

Only trick was adjusting the flow so it heats on low speed of my pump.

Then if you could, get the BIGGEST one you can afford, more BTU's the faster (at no additional electricity cost) to heat your pool (other than initial investment)

You don't need the super quiet ones, unless your HP is super close to the pool and a bit of noise bothers you. But the regular one is dang quiet at the house and in the pool you hardly hear it.

Which website is that, few that I looked at that had good prices, all want $150+ for shipping. Did you pull the trigger yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which website is that, few that I looked at that had good prices, all want $150+ for shipping. Did you pool the trigger yet?

The website I was on was "Inyo Pool", but the heat pump I'm getting (SQ175) cost the same on the website and at the pool company except the company has a $200 off sale going on, so I'm going to the pool company Sunday to finalize my purchase.

So no I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm still getting estimates for the electric :scratch: had a guy come by yesterday and quote me $2900 :confused: so far I have 1 guy at $750 with me digging the trench and another at $2900 but at least I'm not digging.

I'm waiting to speak with the electrician the pool company deals with and scheduling a estimate, hopefully he will give me a good quote. If he doesn't, I will schedule some more estimates because whatever happens I am swimming in hot/warm water this season.

The electricity is going to get ran just a question of who and at what price ....

Memorial Day BBQ blowout with warm/hot water :D:p:goodpost:

I have the 140k BTU Hayward HeatPro and am very happy with it. I agree, bigger is better. It just means more heat quicker. Of course, more space is needed and slightly more electric. But given the output, it's pretty big, but surprising quiet for its size. About the size of a 5 ton AC condenser.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en...ro-in-ground-heat-pump--140-000-btus-hp21404t

Azmp1, the HeatPro that steve_ng has is actually cheaper on the "inyo Pool" website:

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02200014058160.htm

Than it is at Leslies:

http://www.lesliespool.com/hayward-heatpro-titanium-digital-230v-pool-and-spa-heat-pump/heatpro.htm

After my experience with Leslie's I just decided to go a different way and I have heard good thinks about Aqua Cal ...

@fatcat07 , I have that exact hp for my pool on long island. Works awesome! Dont worry about the pipe size, thats what reducers are made for. Its a very quiet unit. I installed it myself, took about 4 or 5 hours. Slow and steady. I fortunately found mine brand new in box locally for $1800!!!! I def recomend this unit. The bigger, the better for the pool.

The website I was on was "Inyo Pool", but the heat pump I'm getting (SQ175) cost the same on the website and at the pool company except the company has a $200 off sale going on, so I'm going to the pool company Sunday to finalize my purchase.

So no I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm still getting estimates for the electric :scratch: had a guy come by yesterday and quote me $2900 :confused: so far I have 1 guy at $750 with me digging the trench and another at $2900 but at least I'm not digging.

I'm waiting to speak with the electrician the pool company deals with and scheduling a estimate, hopefully he will give me a good quote. If he doesn't, I will schedule some more estimates because whatever happens I am swimming in hot/warm water this season.

The electricity is going to get ran just a question of who and at what price ....

Memorial Day BBQ blowout with warm/hot water :D:p:goodpost:

Rent a "ditch witch" It will make a trench for you, and only cost about $100 for the day. Then hire that electrician for the $750. Im in suffolk, I could maybe help you hook up the unit if you are close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.