Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My week long conversion.

1. Back To Top    #1

My week long conversion.

I found this forum because I no longer wanted to use Baquacil. My Pool Chemical Store said to the change would mean emptying my pool. I have a Doughboy 28” sunk an additional foot into the ground, approximately 23,000 gallons. I started on Sunday evening; no before pictures but my pool was a real nice shade of forest green. I used a HTH test kit until my TFTest Kit arrived. I just tried to keep the chlorine indicator purple (10ppm) over night. I used 70 bottles of bleach (I also ruined a couple of t-shirts). I brushed, vacuumed, backwashed every day. I will be replacing the sand tomorrow if we don’t get any weather. I have added pictures I took of my conversion. This is the best it has looked all summer.

Wayne
    Leander, TX

Monday 8 Sept 4:45 PM

Tuesday 9 Sept 7:52 AM

Tuesday 9 Sept 6:00 PM

Wednesday 10 Sept 7:27 AM

Wednesday 10 Sept 7:44 PM

Thursday 11 Sept 7:27 AM

Thursday 11 Sept 7:23 PM

Friday 12 Sept 7:56 AM

Saturday 13 Sept 12:55 PM

The Bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My week long conversion.

Wow, you pool looks great! Aren't you glad that you read about baqua conversion here before emptying your pool?
    17K gallon in-gound pool, black plaster, Polaris 380, cartridge filter system

3. Back To Top    #3

No doubt. Thanks to everyone who ever posted in this forum. Reading all the posts made things very simple. The one difference I see now is the pool just looks clearner, with baquacil it never looked this clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Great job, WayneG!

Quote Originally Posted by WayneG
    This is the best it has looked all summer.
    ......just wait until it gets all sparkly

Welcome to the forum!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks a whole lot better!

Congratulations!

Now go get yourself a TF-100! You won't regret it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Woke up this morning and the pool still looks great. My TF100 kit arrived on Friday. This morning was the first chance I had to use the kit. I ran through all the tests twice to make sure I was doing it right. These are the readings.

PH = 7.2
    CL = 1
    FC = 2
    CC = 6
    T/A = 160
    CH = 400
    CYA = N/A (either wasn't doing it right or there is no CYA -- the black dot never disappeared)

I have backwashed the pool and there is very little cloudiness to the backwash water. I was going to change the filter sand today, but I think the CC is still to high. I will add more bleach this afternoon when the sun is off the pool, re-check the FC and CC again tonight and in the morning to see where they are at.

Thanks for the comments. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

7. Back To Top    #7

congrats on your conversion!

Regarding your 0 CYA reading, unless you have added CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) you will not have any in your water following your conversion (Baqua products do not contain CYA, and neither does tap/well water)

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

8. Back To Top    #8

Even though my pool looks great. Is it safe to assume I need to continue with the conversion until such time the FC doesn't drop over night by 1ppm. Last night the FC=16 and CC=6, this morning the FC=12 and CC=6. The CC as remained 6 since since Saturday. I haven't changed my sand filter media yet. Could I be doing the CC test wrong? I do have the TF-100 Test Kit.

Wayne

9. Back To Top    #9

I cannot say if you are doing the test wrong or not. Your CC's seem to be stuck at 6... curious.

I would give it another couple days, to try to get the numbers closer to 0 (FC loss 0, cc's 0) before changing the sand. It would be a shame to change the sand just a little too soon and then get it 'contaminated' with baquagoo!

Although, since your water looks so fabulous, others may say go for it!

ETA have you been keeping a solar cover on it during the day? That could possibly contribute to the CC reading.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't have a solar blanket. I will give it another couple of days of clorine in the afternoon to see what happens.

Thanks for the quick response.

Wayne

11. Back To Top    #11

Having the CC reading come out exactly the same several times is a bit of a coincidence, but having fairly high CC levels at this point is not at all surprising. In another two or three days the FC level will remain the same overnight and it will be time to replace the filter media. Once you do that, the CC level will probably drop significantly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School