grade issue& already disappointed so early in the game-PICS

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
my apologies ahead of time. if this is too long, feel free to skim down to the questions.
I took a year to do research and planning. got one of the top 2 builders, california pools and have already had hiccups but i'm wondering how many of them are to be expected with pool builders and due to the nature of the work... i don't plan on changing pbs as i did lots of research and picked them for a reason; better warranties, better ratings (BBB, ROC, Angies list...). no pb was shown to be without faults. i think they'll make a few of the things right money-wise, but i have overall confidence they should build a good product. (I hope).

i am very disappointed, though, so far, that the build is delayed already and the salesperson missed the ball when he said our elevation issue wasn't a big deal and we'd be able to deal with it by grading the yard. the first pb thought we'd have to do a retainer wall and by his computer program, it seemed accurate. then his "engineer" came out and said that with grading we'd be fine. i don't recall him saying we'd need a birm and the birm is now an issue. we never planned a design with a birm. it effects an entryway where the gate would be, the small decking area (140 square feet) that was to be under an arbor and attached to an existing arbor. i'm trying to not raise the decking to not block part of the neighbor's view of the mountain. i'd hate it if someone did it to me and want to be a good neighbor. neighbor seemed to say she doesn't like that i'm planning on building another arbor and feels it won't make sense in that corner, but that it's not going to get in the way of us being neighborly

i don't like the idea of a raised pool in the small area and with kids. the least amount they could raise it would be 6 inches so although it may sound minor, it's an inconvenience for various reasons and i need extra time to wrap my head around it while also possibly moving things in one direction and have the ground repainted, possibly a couple week delay on the dig and by the looks of it and we signed the contract a good month ago as it is.

the pb said the difference between one end of the pool (or pool to patio, i got confused) and the other is 13 inches so the minimum they could get away with raising the pool would be 6 inches due to not wanting to lower it lower than the foundation of the block walls/fences. if there are any grading and raised pool thoughts or encouragement that'd be great. i'm trying to look at it positively like that it'll add a bit of dimension in the yard and have a more unique look than most of the flat pools in flat yards (not criticizing anyone's flat pool/yard! flat was really my preference).
i plan on seeing if they will split the cost to face the 2 sides of the pool (if i go that route-at least need to face one side) since they didn't bring this up to me before and it's delaying the build. trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, although pb knew i was going to do a small deck he didn't know where since i never drew him a map earlier. i never even got a good 3-d drawing from him btw.

some other irritations/questions:

1. i try to give people the benefit of the doubt but a couple of my friends think they're up to something. they originally told that marbella stone in 16 x 24" pavers for the coping only came bullnosed so i couldn't get what i wanted. then the next day they said they could get it. pb tries to brush things over and not get into too many details and said it was due to a "miscommunication".
2. we were ordering 24 x 16" coping from the beginning. they said there was a coping only surcharge so i told them we want that amount of pavers/ deck for that cost instead of coping only charge. ofcourse then we went over another 30 feet, which is fine. he said they'd be 24 x 16" pavers and now he changed it saying that'd be way too $ and i have to get one of 2 choices. on the change order he didn't even give me a choice. small pavers it is unless i decide to fight this.
3. i have called about the pavers issue, emailed about various issues, and i don't always get responses. seems the pb really likes to do things verbally. i hate that. i try to email something to back it up later when i can but it's just me confirming a convo with him, not him replying for the most part.
4. i also am detail oriented and have wanted lots of details in writing, esp in the contract and double checking and pushing for things i want like the PV3 in-floor SySTEM, not just heads and calling the manufacturer to make sure they r doing things correctly with having only one drain and things like that. they are nice but i can tell it bothers them and once said "out of all due respect we r the pool builders and u have to decide if u r going to trust us." no big deal but i wish they had the approach of helping me feel confident by explaining verses me having to ask the questions they haven't came up with and pushing for things i want because they must get more perks if they sell certain products...

the raised pool changes some things and i'm hoping i wont' regret not having hired a designer but i thought i had it handled until this changed things a bit.

any words of wisdom or comfort would be great. i want to be fair to both them and myself.

thx much!!

this was a prior post and changed the post in this message as told to do by moderators:
I originally had my heart set on using a precast concrete coping for my coping-only pool and it seemed that there were possibly going to be too many probs with trying to get things right seeing how calpools hasn't done much with precast cement and they mentioned salts (or something white) coming up through the coping to where it could look messy and stained. with the heat and possible slipperiness along with someone saying it wasn't a good option, we decided to play it "safe" and go with Travertine. now that i have to choose and went to see some pallets most of the travertines were really different from what they had in the showrooms and I brought a few samples home and they are seeming too "yellow" or varied in colors.

I like greys and AZ flagstone sounds like it's out of the question due to swg and i was told that marbella is too soft, too.

any other thoughts? maybe i should just go back to my first love, concrete, and hope it'll work fine in phoenix. i got a sale price on travertine when i signed the contract, though. not sure how much more concrete would be.

pluses/negatives with any of these stones and SWGs? any thoughts on travertine having too much variation for some folks and how to get around that... (I guess buy a good 10% extra and make sure i'm there on the day of coping installation while i drive the installers nuts as i pick which paver i want on the coping... :D

anyone do marbella with SWG? the look seemed uniform when i saw it. i liked the color a lot.

thx much!

Last edited:
Re: swg and coping. prefer marbella, flagstone, concrete. Phoenix, AZ pool

The safest bet is concrete with swcg. It could effloresce, but I doubt it. Normally efflorescence moves out horizontally, not up. Water pushes minerals through the concrete. Even if it does it is temporary and you can clean it. There is potential risk with the the softer stones. Although, I took the risk and no regrets so far. :) Starting pool season #4 now. But since you love concrete you might as well use it.

Re: swg and coping. prefer marbella, flagstone, concrete. Phoenix, AZ pool

thx pooldv. just went to the tile place and the guy said Oak flagstone will hold up best and it'd be quite a bit more $ and with a sealer that they have that soaks in versus topical, should last forever, with chipping, ofcourse. he also said that marbela would be good sealed but the pallet looked yellowish, not like the ones I've seen in the past.
I could also get 4" thick concrete from the pool builder, which is attached to the bon beam, so would be more $ to fix if I needed to down the road I believe (rather than pre-cast would be just popping out a piece at a time if it were to crack). not sure how i feel about the 4" look or the likelihood of it cracking.

thx

flagstone cutting up kids? marbella a better choice?

2 negatives i've heard today about flagstone: 1. gets hot here in AZ. 2. can get cut up and bathing suit caught on it pretty well.
does anyone know of anyone who regret putting in flagstone with having kids? my kids get pretty cut up from being boys and full of energy, anyway, but will i hate it as far as having kids is involved or is that not so much of a prob? the pool will be 40 ft long play pool with a 10 foot baja step on one end and no bench on the other end.

Crema in travertine seems similar in color a marbella and more variance than marbella, but it's also still on the table. also, more "yellow/sand" than i'd like.

thx!

thx!

Re: flagstone cutting up kids? marbella a better choice?

Flagstone will get hotter than the travertine. Just found that out last Sunday, ouch. As far as Flagstone cutting skin or bathing suits, i can see it happening but we have not had that problem. Mine is only on top of the spa which has been put to good use as of late. Travertine comes in so many colors now that you should be able to stay away from a color you don't like. There is a variation problem with travertine but then you can have variation in many areas of pool building, plaster,tile etc.

Re: flagstone cutting kids? marbella a better choice? salt water pool

Our flagstone coping is noticeably hotter than our concrete deck. But, there is a pool right there to cool off in. :) Three years of swimming in a pool with flagstone has resulted in no cuts or torn bathing suits. Never noticed any issues in this regard.

marbella near salt water pool/ preserve outdoor penetrating sealer

taking the pb a few days to get a price on special order flagstone 24 x 16"s. i was also told it could take up to 8 weeks, so i'm considering marbella more, now. can't find anything on line so far about marbella and salt water pool. so far anyone we have spoken said don't do it, but the place that sells the pavers said we'd be ok as long as we kept up the salt system well and kept the pavers sealed every 3-5 yrs with a product they sell, preserve-outdoor penetrating sealer we'd be fine. the pb told me that their philosophy is to never seal stone since it can hold in some places and not in others and then cause uneven protection or more problems than without being sealed.

anyone have marbella near salt? anyone know about this product/sealer? thx much

Re: marbella near salt water pool/ preserve outdoor penetrating sealerl

I thought OK flagstone was what all the Texans used and it has proven too be way too soft for the SWG :scratch:

I agree flagstone gets HOT!!! Travertine is a better choice.

It is true that lots-o-texans use OK flagstone. I guess we don't have any here? But, it isn't a certainty that it is way too soft for SWG. I have volunteered myself to be an official longterm tester of unsealed OK flagstone vs SWG in TX. Starting swim season 4 and we are good! There is some flagstone coping that is flaking a little but that same type flagstone is flaking a little away from the pool in paths also. And one piece on the path is really flaking off a lot with no help from saltwater at all! No difference observed near or far from the pool. Most of the flagstone coping we have looks the same as it did 3+ years ago.

As for hot? That flagstone is dang HOT! It has been scientifically tested to be way hotter than the concrete deck right next to it.

the tile guy told me that when the salt system goes out, that's when the salt system goes out that's mainly what effects the stone. i've never been a pool owner, but don't u know pretty quickly when the cell goes out to be able to replace it? interestingly, in AZ, salt cells r known to go out in 3-5 yrs. that's when he recommends to seal. still wondering about marbella. concrete is 30% more $ than travertine, so that's out of the budget. anyone know about marbella and salt? the flagstone might take too long and still waiting on a price, so may outdo out budget, we'll see. thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I've never heard that about the cell going out. Yes, you will know quickly, either by testing or algae!

No expert here, but we're building a swg pool. We live in Houston, and I'm finding each stone place here gives me a different and very convincing line about what to use and not to use. Hearing so many contradictions is sort of making me numb to it either way. I guess I feel like, there's no way for ME to know for sure what to do about stone issues. So I'm using travertine for our coping, and I will seal it. If I had really wanted flagstone, I would have used that. I don't think I would even seal anything except we get a lot of mildew here in the Houston area, and I hate that stuff. Also, the way my deck and pool areas are situated, I have spots that get a lot of shade making the problem even worse.

Yesterday at a stone place, I met a man (customer) whose business is concrete. We were both looking at the travertine pavers for pool decking, so we talked about the care of it. He said to use Dry Treat for the sealer - said it was the best and only sealer he uses in his business (sorry, but I didn't ask what kind of concrete business). He said to make sure the maker is from Australia. I've read reviews for many sealers, and it seems there are many good ones to choose from. But what got my attention from this guy was that he said Dry Treat is the only one he has found that does NOT yellow with time or multiple applications. I hadn't even thought about yellowing. He also said he only knows of it being sold online. I haven't researched it yet.

Anyway, maybe this gives you some food for thought, even if it isn't expert advice. Get what you love (and can afford) and protect it if you need to. Then enjoy and have fun! Take care! Suz.

I don't know why a salt cell going out would effect the coping around the pool. Now if he was talking about splash-out that is a different story. Salt water splash out while swimming can cause some erosion over time, however if you hose off the deck after swimming you will decrease the risk of damage.

pooldv, i might be using wrong terminology with the salt "cell" going out. something needs to be changed every 3-5 yrs typically here in AZ.

good points everyone. i forgot about hosing off the deck... I have also been told many different things, but the only one who told me to use marbella around the pool and not seal it is the pb, who had me sign a waiver that it's not warrantied due to having a salt pool, so they could care less to some degree.

leaning toward marbella cuz i think flagstone is going to take too long. still waiting for a quote. and marbella is cool and seems like it's not very slippery as compared to travertine. still love flagstone, though, and it seems more people use it around salt. i don't hear much about marbella in general. can't even find much about it online at all.

thx for the replies!

Yes, that is the correct terminology. Just don't know why it might have a bigger impact when it is going out vs when it is working properly

he also said that most people don't maintain their salt pools correctly and that that causes problems, too.
went to someone's home today who has concha, similar to marbella. she loves it. i've gotta consider how nice the coolness of the stone would be. anyone know if marbella is a softer stone than flagstone? i saw it on one pool where water hit it a lot on the baja that had in-floor and it was really coming apart on that pool, in that area, not a salt pool.

thx!

hesitated to post pics of my not so pretty backyard, but maybe it'll help. hey, it's a before pic afterall! it's hard to tell there is a grading issue isn't it? if u look at the blocks u may be able to tell a bit. the blue rope is the pool and the orange is the fence. doing a pretty rebar oxidized fence. hate how it runs through the arbor like it does but we planned on extending the arbor (and changing out this old one) and putting a 2 post arbor along part of the back wall, too, to take some of the focus off of the neighbor's roof and have more green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.