Two Speed Motor Wiring Problem!

Apr 20, 2015
San Antonio
Hello, it is my first time posting at TFP. I recently replaced my single speed Hayward 1.5 hp motor with a two speed 56J Advantage energy efficient motor. I did the removal and installation of the motor and a handyman friend of mine did the electrical. The motor ran fine for 3 months but it only ran on one speed.
A few days ago it started tripping the breaker on the main panel. Everything is wired according the diagram from Advantage with no luck. We have voltage all the way to the wires powering the motor, but as soon as we connect the wires to the motor the breaker trips? Can it be that the motor is done?
We are using one Intermatic manual timer and a single pole single throw switch to kill power. The switch and timer where in place with the previous single speed motor. I apologize if I am not explaining things correctly but I am not good with the electrical part. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20150420_223938.jpg
    20150420_223938.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 33
  • 20150420_223838.jpg
    20150420_223838.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 33
  • 20150420_223524.jpg
    20150420_223524.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to TFP.

Since it ran fine for three months, the wiring pretty much had to be correct. Are you sure it was wired for 230 volts?

I'd say that you've had a premature failure of the motor. Is it still under warranty?

You could test the wiring by disconnecting it at the motor, taping or putting a wire nut on the wires and turn it on to see if the breaker still trips. If it doesn't then it's the motor, if it still trips then I'd look at the timer.

Thank you for the advice Bama Rambler. We did exactly as you stated, with the wires removed from the motor it does not trip the breaker, as soon as we connect the wires to the motor the breaker trips. It tan for a few months but it only had one speed wired to it.
I am wondering if my friend did not connected it correctly?
The good thing is that is still under warranty, I will be calling them tomorrow.
Thank you again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.