pooldv texas pool thread

Re: pooldv pool thread

Ok, it is 70 degrees outside and I am sweating. It is supposed to be in the mid 70s and sunny all week We have solar, solar cover and a heat pump. Let's see how early we can start swimming this year. Solar is on and the solar cover is on, water temp is 60 and solar panel temp says 91. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so that might set us back a bit. If the forecast on Monday says it is still going to be warm and sunny next weekend I'll turn on the heat pump and see if we can swim in Feb. If it is going to cool off some next weekend I'll just leave the cover on and keep the solar panels going to see where that gets us.

Fun to hear the efforts. I predict you will swim before we do. Though it was 70 here too today.

Well, the pool temp was only 61 (+1) this morning. I totally forgot about the amount of time it takes to heat up the gunite and ground. Forecast is sunny and mid-70s all week, 67 and sunny Friday and 59 and sunny Saturday. So, we're going to hold off on the heat pump and just let the solar panels and cover do their work for free for a few days to see where we get. It is cloudy and low 70s today with rain tonight.

I'll just create a log here and update it as long as nobody posts. If somebody posts then I'll update so it stays at the bottom for a while.

2/18 60 sunny, 70
2/19 61 cloudy, 73
2/20 63 rained overnight, cloudy, 60
2/21 65 sunny and 73 I also programmed the pump to turn off at night to preserve heat.
2/22 68 sunny and 80

My SWG cell union was dripping a little so I removed it to lube the o-rings with some silicone lube. It's the first time I've checked the cell in a couple of years and it had a teeny tiny bit of scale on one blade at the end, otherwise spotless after being off since November. I used to check it every year but it was always clean so I stopped checking. About to start season 6 without ever cleaning my SWG cell. Maintaining your CSI slightly negative, between -0.3 and 0, will prevent scaling in your cell. Even with high scaling water like we have in the DFW area. Wish I could maintain negative CSI in the shower and the coffee pot! We had to toss our old coffeemaker because the scale was so bad. And our humidifier lasted surprisingly long but when I took it apart last winter it was actually hilarious how much scale was in that thing. It was like an alien invasion. :)

I only used distilled water in my coffee makers. Even regular bottled water will cause mineral build up. Now if I could only convince the folks at Arrowhead Drinking water company to run a pipeline directly into my home....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, might have to think about distilled water. I'll do a cost benefit analysis on how many extra years I need to get out of my coffee maker to pay for the distilled water.

Well, the weather here is on a crazy train! It was 88 yesterday (awesome!) and it will be 34 tonight (NOT awesome!). So, I'm going to build a fire somewhere and sit by it. Cover is on, solar is on and heat pump is off. Pool was 72 last time I looked at it yesterday afternoon sometime.

After switching to distilled I have never once had to clean out my coffee maker. When using bottled water, the "CLEAN MAKER" light would come on monthly.

Distilled is about $1.25/gal so it will never be cost effective compared to tap water which is usually penny's per gallon. But my tap water is so gross (high calcium, chloramine disinfection, etc) that I don't drink it. One of these days I need to drop some serious cash on a home water conditioning setup (ion exchange softener and carbon filtration).

Danny please keep those feet warm... Frostbite is not attractive but I suppose I could learn to love it

Yeah, might need to break out some socks. Or the fuzzy "winter" Crocs, LOL!

20170224_095737.jpg
Yeah, that hurt a little.

After switching to distilled I have never once had to clean out my coffee maker. When using bottled water, the "CLEAN MAKER" light would come on monthly.

Distilled is about $1.25/gal so it will never be cost effective compared to tap water which is usually penny's per gallon. But my tap water is so gross (high calcium, chloramine disinfection, etc) that I don't drink it. One of these days I need to drop some serious cash on a home water conditioning setup (ion exchange softener and carbon filtration).

Y'all's water is worse than ours. Like double apostrophe words? The last pot lasted quite a few years with no cleaning ever, I'm lazy like that and I didn't really like it anyway. I like this one better maybe I'll just run some vinegar through occasionally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I only used distilled water in my coffee makers. Even regular bottled water will cause mineral build up. Now if I could only convince the folks at Arrowhead Drinking water company to run a pipeline directly into my home....

I've read, and been told, that distilled water is not good for consumption. Something to do with the fact that there are no impurities in it and it causes essential minerals and such, to be leeched out of cell membranes.
You, being who you are, I wonder if I have been misinformed and need to have my thinking adjusted.

You're somewhat correct Bob. It is not good at all for babies mixed formula (for example) who get their entire fluid intake from that source. I suspect Matt drinks more than just coffee so his cells shouldn't be poppin'

(oh yeah, and its not "impurities" but rather the lack of minerals)

Yippee :flower:

I've read, and been told, that distilled water is not good for consumption. Something to do with the fact that there are no impurities in it and it causes essential minerals and such, to be leeched out of cell membranes.
You, being who you are, I wonder if I have been misinformed and need to have my thinking adjusted.

If I could find it again, I'd attach the most recent WHO Report on worldwide drinking water standard. Like most government work, it's hundreds of pages of detailed analysis that all boils down to a small set of conclusions that could have been arrived at with a few moments of thoughtful consideration - if you live in a 3rd World country and you are malnourished, then distilled and demineralized water is not good for you (think of it like setting up an RO filtration system in a remote African village). However, if you live in the industrialized world, then drinking RO's or D&D water will have no measurable impact on one's health.

As for the impact of D&D water on the flavor of brewed coffee, that is a real effect and one that probably only the most sensitive of palates can detect. Bottled water with a little bit of minerals in it is the best way to brew coffee. Chlorine of any kind destroys many of the organic compounds that get extracted from the roasted bean and will form other halogenated-organics that can really spoil a good cup of Joe....

You're somewhat correct Bob. It is not good at all for babies mixed formula (for example) who get their entire fluid intake from that source. I suspect Matt drinks more than just coffee so his cells shouldn't be poppin'

Yippee :flower:

There was a time when coffee was just about the only fluid intake I had during the day...those days spent in the lab basement getting my degrees are long behind me as is my excessive intake of coffee...however, I will say this, the consumption of coffee is likely one of the driving forces behind the Renaissance and the modern scientific age. It was the coffee houses of Europe where the first gatherings of intellectuals (like Sir Isaac Newton) occurred and those are the origins of the many international scientific organizations that we have today. So coffee, along with fire, is one of man's most important advancements.....

So coffee, along with fire, is one of man's most important advancements.....

Seems reasonable - somewhere my genes got messed up and crave Diet Coke - probably much worse for you.

Now how about those winter lined Crocs? Many have but few admit. I'm proud of you for that picture!

I was a little scared to post it. My wife and kids shame me about them! I don't listen to the haters. :) They are waterproof, ridiculously comfortable and amazingly warm. It's like a foot hug. What else do you need for winter pool maintenance?

Ok, it was 31 dadgum degrees last night. :thumbdown:

Pool temp at 2ish was 67, so we lost about 5 degrees

2/18 60 sunny, 70
2/19 61 cloudy, 73
2/20 63 rained overnight, cloudy, 60
2/21 65 sunny and 73 I also programmed the pump to turn off at night to preserve heat.
2/22 68 sunny and 80
2/24 72 sunny and 88, my kinda weather!
2/25 67 sunny and 53, 31 degrees overnight

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.