Hello fellow pool owners! I installed my first pool last June, 2014. I purchased a fiberglass shell from the manufacturer, Sun Pools of KY. The pool is their roman style Cancun 40X14, game pool (deep in the center, shallow ends with steps & seating on both ends). I installed, wired & plumbed the pool myself. I had a local pool builder come out to give me a few tips, help shoot the grades with a laser transit & he even loaned my his expensive transit for a day so myself & a few local laborers could get it in the ground. We were able to get the shell within 1/2" level on 2 corners, 1" on one pesky corner & spot on in the center. Summer 2015 is my first full season of maintaining the pool so I joined the TFP forums to research chemistry & maintenance.

So, welcome to TFP!!

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

The tools you need to maintain your pool are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.