new pool owner - opening pool - questions questions questiosn

bonanz

Apr 5, 2015
Central FL
hi all, I just took title to my first house with a pool, it was a foreclosure and the pool had been out of commission for 8-9 months.

it's a 10kgallon pool.

It has a tab feeder.

I replaced the motor as it was seized and rusted out. running nicely now.

water was reasonably clear but there was a lot of algaeo bloom clumps.

ordered TF100, first reading showed chlorine as none, CYA showed up as none (could see the black dot the whole time), CH was around 400? TA - was like 70. didn't put much stock in this because it was with nothing done with the pool.

started with a brushing and vacuuming to get as much clumpage as I could.

I went to leslies and bought some 2.5 gal jugs of 12.5% - dumped one in and brushed again - pool pump going about 14 hrs a day. After this, algae was "diced up" and pool was cloudy with "shaved ice" looking flecks of stuff.

put in some Pool First Aid, left pump running and that cleared up a lot of the debris.

dumped more chlorine a couple of days later, brushed. little more pool first aid. more brushing. pretty much all clumpage gone except for some in main drain needs to be brushed and vacuumed.

did another set of tests after:

FC: 2
CC: .5
TC: 2.5
CH: 375
TA: 40
CYA: still clear

forgot to take PH

so my issue and desires:
I don't live here yet and will not be able to go here everyday to dump chlorine maybe for a couple of months.

The high CH leads me to believe that the tabs used in the feed previously were cal hypo? reasonable assumption?

I would eventually like to install a SWG, but that may be a while down the line. I would like to get this under control and be able to swim in it once in a while if I'm at the house. I was thinking about using trichlor in the feeder and just be careful not to get the CYA too high and figured since I'm clear on the CYA I could get away with using the feeder for a while to just maintain it until I install SWG or move in and can just use liquid chlorine.

questions:
is the high CH indicative of cal hypo? If that's the case am I able to use trichlor tabs in the feeder? no tabs have been in there in almost a year and I've been running the pump the last week or so and not used tablets or antyhig. Is there any danger of dropping some triclor tabs in there for the time being? is it safe to assume it's all rinsed out by now if it was caly hypo?

high ch, only managable with a partial drain right? part of me thinks I should just live the life on trichlor tabs with the feeder until CYA gets to a slightly higher level, do a partial drain to get CYA and CH lower and then install SWG and then atone for my sins and walk the straight and narrow.

any issue with the plan?

thanks in advance

First, we recommend not just dumping in chlorine blindly. 2.5 gal of 12% would take your FC to 12 witn no CYA.

You need to let the FC get below 10 so you can get a good pH reading. That is the first thing you need to adjust. If you are truly at 0 CYA you need to get some in there and trichlor tabs are going to take too long. The sun in Florida is going to consume your chlorine fast.

Don't worry about CH and TA until you get it cleared up.

I would say get enough CYA in a sock to get the level to 30. That will leave you with head room to use the tab feeder until you move into the house.

thanks for the responses, yes it does rain year round... it's pouring right now.

My FC is below 10 in my last reading, it was 2. That was after dumping in the second jug of of chlorine the night before. I haven't taken an PH reading yet. Am I somehow screwing up the CYA test? i've done it twice now and it's been crystal clear to the top fo the tube. I've ready about people having off the charts high readings, but I didn't see anything about 0.

Should I just add powder trichlor shock to get my CYA up a little since, I need to add chlorine as well. This pool gets beat by the sun all day as well.

Looking at it, it looks pretty cleared up and visually looks ready to swim in, but I'll take a PH reading next time I'm over there and dump some power shock to get CYA up. seems counter intuitive with everything you read hear about avoiding CYA...

thanks for the responses, yes it does rain year round... it's pouring right now.

My FC is below 10 in my last reading, it was 2. That was after dumping in the second jug of of chlorine the night before. I haven't taken an PH reading yet. Am I somehow screwing up the CYA test? i've done it twice now and it's been crystal clear to the top fo the tube. I've ready about people having off the charts high readings, but I didn't see anything about 0.

Should I just add powder trichlor shock to get my CYA up a little since, I need to add chlorine as well. This pool gets beat by the sun all day as well.

Looking at it, it looks pretty cleared up and visually looks ready to swim in, but I'll take a PH reading next time I'm over there and dump some power shock to get CYA up. seems counter intuitive with everything you read hear about avoiding CYA...
0 CYA is not uncommon.

If you insist (hey, it's really your pool;) ) on using powered shock, keep specific notes of how much of what you add. Pool Math will let you figure how much CYA you are adding with each addition.

The pH is important - test and adjust!!

well so far I think i'm not gonna be a fan of lugging around jugs of chlorine all over the place. keeping packets or a bucket of powder to broadcast once in a while seems ideal. I was excited to google about what a tab feeder does, but i was sad when I came here and learned that was a big no-no. So at least I'll enjoy dancing around the pool with a devilish grin while I dump in my CYA loaded shock powder...for a while.

in either case, waht about the trichlor/cal hypo tab feeder question? can i grab some trichlor tabs to slow bleed chlorine while I'm away days at a time and come back and shock the world without worrying about creating mustard gas or something in the feeder? That's just an assumption on the cal hypo based on the CH, i have no idea what was in there before.

Hi welcome to TFP. Sounds like you're getting the hang of TFPC. You can add a saltwater chlorine generator and stop all that bleach haulin. Nothing wrong with using pucks until your CYA gets to the Recommended Level

Next time FC is under 10ppm you need to text your ph and adjust to 7.2-7.5.

Please update your signature per this, What we need to know to answer your questions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.