ABG pool plumbing fittings

Charles

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2008
I am plumbing my new Hayward XStream filter system into my Intex ABG pool and have to do some tap dancing with the fittings. I want to eliminate most of the flow restrictions and also do a real clean setup. I am looking for recommendations on hard replumbing the entire setup and would appreciate any creative suggestions.

Here's my current setup. I think I need to toss the hose and plunger valves as I cannot figure out how to effectively connect to the pump or filter. I tried to salvage them by using a 1.5" MPT to 2" MPT union, but that did not seal tightly.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, right?

Both inlet and outlets are 2" MPT
10746.jpg

Plunger valves screw to inlet/outlet with 2" FPT with rubber step washer.
10747.jpg
`
10745.jpg

1.5" ID Intex hose with 2" FPT to attach to valve. 1.5" extensions with O-rings on above plunger valves seal into hose.
10493.jpg

Both pump inlet and outlet have a 1.5" FPT. In addition to the 1.5" FPT, they also have a larger 2+" MPT fitting.
matrix_power_flo_2.jpg

The pump/filter setup (Hayward XStream 1000) came with a union to connect the pump output to the filter inlet. The filter outlet is a simple 1.5" FPT.
42184.jpg

The SWG generator has a 2" MPT on both inlet and outlet with an O-ring to provide a tight seal to the hose.
chlorine_generator.jpg

Finally, I also purchased a Hayward ABG skimmer which came with a return. 1.5" FPT
HWDAGSKIM.jpg
agreturns.gif

If it were me, I'd use 2" FPT/slip fittings with a 2"-1.5" slip/slip reducer to get your plumbing to 1.5", and then away you go. Here's a picture of how I did it with an Intex SWCG like you have shown; if you look close at the 2" FPT fittings on the ends of the cell, you can see the reducer glued in and then the short length of pipe glued into the reducer going to my other fitting (a union).
intex3.jpg

It's either that, or stay with 2" and use the fittings/reducers to bring your pump and filter to 2".

FWIW, you can buy 1.5" flex hose and the hose adapters to connect from your pool to the pump, and from your SWCG back to the pool. Just wanted to offer an alternative to hard plumbing the pipe runs.

Also, I don't think you'll be able to use that skimmer with your pool. You'll need a fairly rigid material to mount it to, and I don't think the Intex has any rigid panels like that.

hth,
Mike

Thank you for the help. I think trying to keep my existing 1.5" Intex hoses is out. Just too much of a pain to get them to work. I will just buy new hoses and use clamps and unions like everyone else.

Regarding the skimmer, I saw someone on this site that used it so I thought I would give it a go. It is not too heavy and since it sits at the waterline, the vinyl is not stressed a lot:
P8120185.jpg

I used some 1" teflon tape I had left over from my pool installation. I'm thinking I did 4-6 wraps, and it hasn't leaked a drop. Of course, had it still leaked, I would've upped the number of wraps until it didn't leak.

Thanks. I am using 1/2" tape and am not exactly a expert DIYer. It seemed hard enough to screw it in with a couple of wraps and I was worried about cracking the end. I will try it with a bit more aggressiveness and more tape.

Wow! This pump rocks! Still got have to get the SWG hooked up, but the pump is filtering that water like crazy. Going to let it filter overnight. Probably overkill.

Next is the SWG then the skimmer. Be time to close it for winter by then. :lol:

Charles,
Did you ever get the skimmer installed? If so, how did it work out? Do you have any Pics? I am thinking about putting a skimmer in mine also. Wondered about the ability of the material to handle the extra stress or if I need to support the skimmer. Pool setup in 2 weeks!! Yippee!
Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.