546 LED Color Pool Light...Anyone try to make one work with an AGP????

johnnysnok

Feb 25, 2011
South Jersey
I currently use the 100 watt night lighter in my oval 12 x 24 and i attach it to one end and it really does light up the entire pool.
But using the 100 watt halogen bulb really uses a lot of electric.

I just found this LED 12 volt light on ebay and was wondering if anyone has tried to apply this set up to there above ground pool set up?
If so all of us would love to see some pics!

I was also wondering if i could splice this LED light into my existing lights transformer that puts out 13 volts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/546-LED-color-swimming-pool-light-/141640953154

Here is the deal... companies like pentair and hayward have alot of money, they take that money and get these lights UL certified... you will find a quarter of these UL certified lights ( suppose to be safe under water ) that get water in them and stop working, if they were IP68 like they were listed under the UL certified, they would not leak.... So, how are they leaking?????? well, the last line in 8 below, it can leak as long as it does no damage... Low voltage 12 volts connected to GFCI when it hits water is suppose to trip and protect you and your family, it also will probably never work again...

On the other side, no one is going to tell you it is ok or safe for YOU to put any light connected to power in your pool that is not UL listed.... You have to do the research and take the chance.... Maybe put it in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks and see if it is trully IP68 and safe....

This is what IP68 is suppose to be...

6 Dust tight, No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight)

8 Immersion beyond 1 m

The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.

Test duration: continuous immersion in water

Depth specified by manufacturer, generally up to 3 m

I am going to do IP68 5m LED RGB lights above the water line with all electrical connections outside the pool incased in silicone, these lights are made to be in ponds under the water and have been used in ponds for years, they just have not been put through the UL certified process....

Have fun and be safe....

Update, just looked at that light again......

It is CE certified, the company is from canterbury, New Zealand

CE is just like UL for the US, so it is certified....

http://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking/consumers/index_en.htm

Now exactly what certification it went through it does not say...

Hope this helps some...

This makes me upset. I want to try these lights also but our local inspector says it has to be UL listed. I get what they're saying, but I've researched all the available US choices and I'm not impressed. Either they leak, don't work after 6 months, cost $500. a piece, or you have to hope your electrician knows his way around a caulk gun of silicone. The more I research pool components, the more it feels like I'm up against mafia monopolies. Heck, we just want a small hole of water to cool off in when the AZ sun gets to 117 in June... OK, rant over.

This makes me upset. I want to try these lights also but our local inspector says it has to be UL listed. I get what they're saying, but I've researched all the available US choices and I'm not impressed. Either they leak, don't work after 6 months, cost $500. a piece, or you have to hope your electrician knows his way around a caulk gun of silicone. The more I research pool components, the more it feels like I'm up against mafia monopolies. Heck, we just want a small hole of water to cool off in when the AZ sun gets to 117 in June... OK, rant over.
Yea, when inspectors are involved UL is required.

I'm not sure how you would attach this to the wall? I do think it would work great though attached to your stairs. I've had 2 UL expensive led lights over the last few yrs and guess what they both leaked and only lasted 1 season. Over $600 in those lights and again the UL lights leaked so not sure why this light wouldn't be worth a try????????

Apparently you install PVC conduit for the electric cord into the form and back to the equipment panel transformer. Then you need a gland connector to watertight the conduit to the cord. A bracket is supposed to be screwed into the shell (That part I don't like) and the light clips to the bracket. What I do like is the light is very low voltage, doesn't need a water chilled space or niche, and it's completely resin sealed so theoretically there's nowhere for the water to go. I'm going to go talk to the county before I give up. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I will post what I came up with. Worst case senerio is I conduit like I'm going to put in those goofy Savi lights (with the horrible reviews) and put these in instead after plaster stage.

- - - Updated - - -

I noticed gqjeff you have an above ground pool. There is a model of this light that attaches with a threaded conduit through the middle with rubber gasket nuts.

Ill def check it out. I would prob opt for a stair install as I have a return light already. I like the low voltage colored LED's like I had before and this one looks like I could get more then 1 season out of it lol.

An update on this light so far. I took a chance and bought one. Mine was from that same guy from New Zealand, I got it on ebay and his sell name is angandstu. Real nice guy; I asked him a ton of questions and he has helped me tremendously. I have the smaller light, the 252 light but he also sells the 546. The light is a totally resin-encased bracket surface mount. It has all the fancy color/color combinations. I plumbed a 1" conduit and have a female thread fitting that will go inside the conduit and thread to a 1/2" gland fitting. Then you just tighten the gland around the cord and that's it. It is a low voltage (12) and you need a transformer or it will not work. Catch is it is CE listed (I got a copy of the certificate for this model), NOT UL listed. You have been warned.

My inspector came to do the electrical before gunite and passed it no problem. I asked him if he wanted to see the light and he said "No, that's OK." Whew!! (I did bond for the bracket, I don't want to take any chances on that forefront). I'm excited to install this light. I will post how it goes. I don't mind being a guinea pig on this. After all, it's only 12V right? Ha. I really like the idea of totally encased led lights.Pool LED Light Front View with 30' Cord and Protection Film.jpg
Pool LED Light Back View with Bracket Attached.jpg
Pool Electrical Light Rough In.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.