How to secure an AG cover?

Hi all,
I am just reading the installation instructions for my winter cover, the cover manufacturer instructs to use a cable routed through the cover eyelets, and cinched up tight with a mini ratchet tool. There is no mention of adding any type of weighted ballast bottles (shock jugs filled with some water). Is adding weight hanging off the side of the cover not a good idea? Thanks for your help!
Rich

im not a fan of the jugs because they look terrible.

As long as you keep your cover pumped off and dont live in a high wind area you will be fine with the cable and wench.

If you have high winds you can get a product called cover clips which seem to work well. Cloths pins might do the same thing. These will complement the wench nicely and help prevent the wind from getting under the cover. Just maske sure you put them on after the wench is tight or it will just rip them off when you crank it down. Make sure you dont put the cable around or under you skimmer as I have seen people damage their skimmers this way.

If you have any of those indistrial sized rolls of cling wrap, those work well when rapped around the pool and cover to keep wind out as well.

I use the pallet wrap as well, it stinks putting it on, but it keeps the wind from getting under the cover. Use a pillow too, tie it three different ways, if not four to keep it in the center, it helps with keeping minimal water on the cover. This year I am going to get a leaf net too, so I can get all that junk off right away before winter.

I just covered my pool today.

I used two big innertubes stacked one on top the other and tied together and then 3 ropes tied off onto the top rails.

I do use the bleach bottles. It get's pretty gusty here and I can't wrap my pool. Plus I got these cool clips given to me and I've been using them too.

I'm hoping to get away with little to no water and leaf accumilation but we'll see!

Summer of 2008 was good! I'm just sad to see it go so fast!

Cannon Balls await for Summer of 2009! 8)

We live in a windy area and the clips popped off after each windy day, so we abandoned them after the first winter. The second winter we followed our neighbor's advice and tied on the jugs as pictured above (FYI I was told by a Leslie's employee that using jugs will void the warranty). In the Spring noticed the jugs had worn off the paint on the pool wall from rubbing.

So since the second winter we place the jugs on the ground, and tie the rope taught so that it has the same effect of keeping it in place, but they are not dangling in the wind. We also make sure the metal grommets are not touching any pool surface if possible, as that causes damage too. We can't use the wrap because of our deck but I have seen it in use and it works great from what I've seen.

We also tie a few jugs and place them inside the pool, on top of the cover, and it helps keep the small amount of water on top evenly distributed which also keeps the cover from blowing all around, except on the windiest of days. With our method, I have noticed no further damage to our pool's exterior, unlike the first two winters which left us quite frustrated!

I am also in area where I get strong cross winds. I have the decking around the pool which makes securing the cover even complicated. 2 years ago I used the jug method. I found it very time consuming and it pulled my grommets apart. So last year I used ~3feet long bungee cord and large stakes in the ground to secure the cover. Put the one end of the bungee through a grommet and the other through the stake. None of my stakes came up and overall it worked well. I still had to get some excess water off the top despite my center pillow...That`s why I am considering mesh this year!

diloglm said:
I am also in area where I get strong cross winds. I have the decking around the pool which makes securing the cover even complicated. 2 years ago I used the jug method. I found it very time consuming and it pulled my grommets apart. So last year I used ~3feet long bungee cord and large stakes in the ground to secure the cover. Put the one end of the bungee through a grommet and the other through the stake. None of my stakes came up and overall it worked well. I still had to get some excess water off the top despite my center pillow...That`s why I am considering mesh this year!

My neighbor does the bungee cord/stakes. It looks much cleaner than the jugs and seems to work perfectly! I think it's a great idea. :goodjob:

Well, I almost have my cover secured. What a friggin' PIA to get a oval cover started when you've never done it before. I was ready to flip out as everytime I would get a few feet started, the other side would fall in the pool and water on top of the cover makes it almost impossible to properly fit a winter cover. Nothing like haveing to jump into 63F water and screw around with a water logged cover. I ran out of daylight, and just gave up. I'll finish the final adjustments tonight. I just wanted to get the cover on to keep all the tree debris from getting in the pool, (I can't run the filter as it's all disconnected, and my pool is drained below the skimmer intake. I'm NOT having any fun i'll tell ya....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.