Newby pool owner with plaster surface question

Sep 9, 2014
Oregon City, OR
Hello list!
I bought this house last year and it came with a very nice 11 year old plaster pool. It's fairly small - 14,000 gallons - but seems to be in good shape. The trouble is the previous owners didn't really take care of things; the house was built in 2001 and need quite a bit of fixing, and the pool had a lot of "stains" that I couldn't get out.
Turns out I spent last summer trying to get my pool more blue, when in fact it's a black pool! The original builder came out and instantly pointed out that there was a large amount of scale build up in the pool. and recommended I drain and acid wash. OK, did that that, and it looks pretty good! It was not that hard, just very labor intensive and took the entire weekend doing 4 "washes" with LOTS of scrubbing. A pressure washer and light touch really did the trick.

Now, my question. Before refilling the pool, I sealed the waterline tile and grout with a sealer I was using on my bathroom remodel (yes, lots of projects going on!) and some dripped on the plaster surface. Argh! It really soaks in fast, but I was able to sand the spots lightly and at least make it look not so bad. But this got me thinking - why can't the entire surface of the pool be sealed? It seems to me that it would help prevent scale build up and also help keep a more uniform color. By my calculations, it would take about $200 worth of sealer, but if it helped maintain a more beautiful pool, seems like a no brainer. What am I missing??

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Welcome to TFP!

I doubt a sealer will prevent scale. Scale is caused by a water chemistry issue, and it will form on most any pool surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.