Opening--What Chemistry Order

7Iron

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
Mobile
5K gal vinyl, with cartridge filter and 2 speed pump

Pool was very green yesterday, the bottom was almost/sorta visible. I used a gallon of 8.25% bleach and this morning the FC was 6.4% (using the good test kit &.2 ppm scale)

Pool is still green but bottom is visible, added additional 32 oz of 8.25% bleach Will vacuum and clean cartridge later this AM.

FC = 10 ppm
CC=
pH > 8 (required 8-9 drops of reagent to reduce to target level of 7.5-7.8 (that color is hard for me to read)
TA =60 ppm
CH = 30
CYA = <20 (maybe zero)

After vacuuming and filter cleaning, what do I do next, At this stage it is almost a circular equation.

Thank you

First priority is to get the PH down to the 7.3 to 7.5 range. Remember not to trust the PH test results when FC is higher than 10, so do this at some moment when FC is fairly low.

It is much simpler to SLAM if the CYA level is at least 30. I would add enough CYA to raise CYA by 30. That might overshoot 30 just a little, which is fine.

Then it is time to SLAM the pool properly, see instructions in Pool School.

Thanks, do you recommend liquid or granular CYA?
Granular will save you a ton of money. They both take a while to show up on testing.

With the granular just pour what you need in an old sock and hang it in front of one of your returns. Shoot a little lower than your goal and make a second application later to bring it up. You don't want a math error causing you to overshoot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.