Centerville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Our pool will have a 20' moss rock weeping wall and a large moss rock waterfall into the spa. I had decided on flagstone coping, but I can get moss rock coping for same cost. Wondering if it would look better and transition better. Anyone have it? Do you have pics? Is it rough? Is it harder to keep clean than flagstone?

I am just afraid that using it as coping too will make it look too rustic . . . if that makes sense. I love the look and feel of Flagstone - but I think that the transition could be amazing from waterfall to coping if it is the same materials.

Here is the picture that led to my pool concept - and actually led me to my builder (it is one of his pools) - I will have the weeping wall and a waterfall into the spa - but my waterfall will only be 3 tons - the one in this pic is 5 tons. So mine will be smaller . . . Im just don't know if I want Flagstone or to do the Mossrock. I don't know anyone who has moss rock coping - hoping someone can give me some feedback!

17027091699_f20fec1aa6.jpg
[/url]Kuykendall spa and wall by misplaced_texan_usaf, on Flickr[/IMG]

From a maintenance standpoint I think the moss rock could be a pain. Plain rock or flagstone you can power wash and scrub. Would moss rock basically be feeding algae directly into the pool all the time? Not an issue unless you ever let your FC drop?

From a cosmetic standpoint it is awesome, but pools are enough work without making it extra hard and possibly creating more problems. This may not be the case, but it would be my concern. The pros here will probably be able to answer the possible algae concern.

Well, you may have some crevices above water line that stay wet and grow a little Algae but anything below the water line will be fine if you take care of Free Chlorine. For those other areas, an occasional spray with a mild bleach/water solution will take care of it quickly. A very small price to pay for such nice features. Do not let that fear hold you back. If you like that, by all means get it. Huge fan of that type of design.

I agree the design is awesome! I was saying same thing as Patrick in a way, I was expressing concern with the "moss". Will there be lots of actively growing moss on these rock? If so that is what i expressing concern about. You wouldn't be to spray bleach and such on it because it would kill all the moss. So you would have to keep it all clean by hand and be very vigilant about your FC I would think. Verses using same build design without the moss, then you could do as Patrick suggests with bleach and cleaning. If you are willing to take care of whatever design you choose the go for it! I just wanted to point a possible maintanence pain you may not have considered. Beautiful design with or without the moss!

When the rocks are put in - they are sprayed - I guess high jet wash - to get all the living stuff off - I am not wanting it to grow the moss - I am hoping by sealing them well - I wouldn't have that problem . . . at least that was the conversation I had regarding the weeping wall and waterfall. I had ruled out the coping in favor of Flagstone - but man, I can NOT make up my mind. I have NEVER been indecisive. This is new to me - and I don't like it.

Thanks for all your help - I am thinking if I am going to need to seal every few years to keep the living off my waterfall - it wouldn't make much of a difference to seal the coping too.

I really like the design too! Thanks again!

I could be wrong, but I firmly believe the Algae will grow right where it will, sealed or not. If it's above the waterline and wet I think it will grow. As I said before though, not such a big deal.

Ugh. That makes me reconsider the entire weeping wall and waterfall. My friends with Waterfalls haven't ever had algae problems - but they all have pool companies that take care of their pools for them - so they may not even know.

Algae is the Devil

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So if I spray with bleach it will help keep it off . . . but if it ever GETS on there - then I would just clean it with a brush? Ive got a LOT of rock going in - a big waterfall into the spa . . . I can totally imagine this nasty black stuff all over it and when I scrub it off - it falls into my beautiful spa!

I think I am at that stage where I am freaking out over everything. I seriously need to start drinking before I get on this forum.

I am not an expert, so I am not familiar with the construction of this type of feature. Based on what you said you wont intentionally have a bunch of moss everywhere. That means you can power wash, bleach, etc to maintain and clean your features. That makes it not such a big deal in my opinion, and if the waterfall/weeping walls are circulating pool water then it will always (assuming you check it lol) have chlorine which will prevent most of the algae in the rocks right? The living moss idea just had images of hand picking leaves and gunk because you could use a power washer or chemicals without killing the moss. Since you aren't having actual moss, I wouldn't be afraid of it! I would loved to have built that, but there were not any qualified pool builders for something like that with in 100miles of me or I would have. Go For It!

We opted for stamped concrete around our pool just for ease of maintaining (and lack of qualified installers in my rural area), just food for thought. With that rock wall though, natural stone would be excellent as well. Ill try and get a pic up of mine for you.

pool3.jpg

Pool4.jpg

Here you go! We used a weathered driftwood wood plank stamp, turned out great.

Just another note...if you do a rectangular pool it makes it easy to put the auto cover tracks under the coping like I did. That way no tracks on the pool deck and everything is hidden.

OMGOSH!!!! I LOVE your pool!! With the lake in the background . . . amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think covering it will be an option with the weeping wall and raised spa with the waterfall. I am planning on keeping it open year round. We don't have kids, it is fenced, but safety isn't a major concern - I would LOVE to be able to keep debris out of it - but I also want to be able to visually enjoy it year round. (the spa will be heated) and we are putting in a gas firepit near it too.

I am a tad jealous when I see all the posts of people who close their pools and just blow off the leaves and stuff and their water is perfect when they pull the cover back.

If it were my choice I would go with something smoother than moss rock like flagstone. Moss rock tends to be very uneven and I could picture it being rough to sit on if someone just wanted to hang their legs over the side of the pool.

In my experience (going on 4 years), the moss rock / algae is not an issue at all. We have a spa-spillover and waterfall section; about 20ft radius. When my FC dropped, I did notice a very slight growth on the moss rock at waterline, but a spray bottle with clorox easily blasted it away. No one else even noticed the algae build-up. I would advise to find a source for moss-rock with higher density. I've seen some that appear more like weak sand-stone.
DSC_2502_zps8ae9c69c.jpg

DSC_2322_zps3aa1ddbe.jpg

DSC_2505_zpsa97d5d65.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.