New Pool Owner.Firs Opening/SLAM DONE!

Hello

My name is Daniel.Me and my family bought the house where we live now like 5-6 months ago and the house has a In ground vinyl pool. The pool was a SWAMP ever since we bought the house until now,since the house was kind of abandoned. This is our first time ever opening a pool and dealing with a pool. We hired a pool contractor to come and install what we needed to get the pool running since when we bought the house there was no type of system connected. Before they came to install the system they added some type of chemical to the water so the water clears up and the dirt and stuff in the pool comes up and it worked. I don't know the name sorry since I wasn't at home when they came. They installed the new system on Friday April 17,2015. Details of the system in my signature. After the guy installed the system he added 4 gallons of liquid chlorine shock.After that he left. Only payed for equipment and install. Ever since Friday we been cleaning the pool and making progress. Pool is looking much better compared to how it was. The same day the system got installed I went to a Leslie Pool store near my house to get my pool water tested. The guys was 'Wow I'm impress of the results" he said I only needed one chemical and sold me the "Natural Chemistry Pool First Aid" product.After that I haven't added anymore chemicals. Water is looking cloudy.

Now that we got my story out the way. I'm here because I came across this community searching for "how much chlorine should I add to my pool" since today I bought some more chlorine shock tablets and I don't know if I should add them to my pool since the pool contractor added 4 gallons already few days ago.I'm also here because I want to learn on how to maintain & keep my pool safe for my family members and kids. I already searched the forums a bit and learned that I could return the Chlorine shock tablets and just go buy some bleach at a local store for cheap. Which I will be doing that thanks to this community. Also learned that the first things that I should get is a Test Kit. I see that a lot of people here got the TF100 Test Kit. But what would be the difference between the TF100 and the Taylor K-2006?? Which one would you guys recommend me for my pool?

TF100 Test Results 4/23/15

FC-0
TA-30
pH-6.8
CYA-0
CH-550

Leslies Test Results 4/21/15
FC-0
TA-20
pH-7.0
CYA-0
CH-360
TDS-700
Phosphates-200

Before Picture. When we were getting the house ready to move in.

How the water got after the pool contractor added the chemical to clear up the water.

How shes looking right at this moment.

English is my second language.Hope you guys understand

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for the help

Last edited:
Re: New Pool Owner.First Opening Ever

Both kits perform the tests recommended by this site and both the TF-100 and the Taylor K-2006 use the same Taylor branded reagents, however the TFT-100 provides more of several reagents you'll likely need over the course of a season. That is why you'll see many posts which say the TFT-100 is a better value. Especially if you're new and having to learn how to perform all the tests and if your water isn't yet perfect, you'll want the TFT-100. Running out of reagents puts you at unnecessary risk for an algae event, which is very easy to prevent if you're able to perform tests without the days delays of waiting for refills.

It sounds like you are on the right track... I was in your shoes about three years ago and this forum has helped me immensely and saved me probably thousands of dollars. Forget about asking the pool store what you need. Just get a test kit and post your results. People on here will help you decide what to add until you know enough to do it on your own.

Owning a pool is actually pretty easy and cheap once you know what you're doing and know how to avoid getting "pool-stored."

Regarding the kits, as gtemkin already pointed out, the only real difference is the amount of reagents. I got the K-2006 kit because it was cheaper and it came with a fancier carrying case :D but it may end up being more expensive in the long-run.

I will note that my local Leslies carries all of the reagents, so even if I run out, I can quickly restock. If you can't get reagents locally, I would definitely go with the kit that has more, since you'll be using them a lot in the beginning.

One last thing... post pictures ASAP. People here love pictures of the process from green to clean. Good luck.

Lots of people recommend the speed stir for more consistent and easier testing. Also available at tftestkits.net

If you order the TF100, I would suggest the XL option. You'll need extra supplies for testing Free Chlorine, and that will get it for you.

Welcome to the forum. Post back when you are ready, and we will be here to help.

If you order the TF100, I would suggest the XL option. You'll need extra supplies for testing Free Chlorine, and that will get it for you.

Welcome to the forum. Post back when you are ready, and we will be here to help.

Thank you.Just placed my Order....Thank you I appreciate that.I'll definitely post my results when I get it.Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Added Pictures of before and after. That's how shes looking right at this moment. While I wait for my TF100 Test Kit to arrive I will be taking examples of the water and post the results here.....There's one thing I'm concern about. How many gallons is my pool. I used an equation I found online and according to the equation is 21,000 but I don't know if that's right. This is the equation: Length x Width x Average Depth x 7.5. My shallow area is like 3ft and my deep is like 8ft. I don't think my measurements are accurate. I added 3+8=11 then dived 11 by 2=5.5.Then I used the equation 32x16x5.5x7.5=21,120. I used the pool calculator but it only has for deep ft. If you guys can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: New Pool Owner.First Opening/TEST RESULTS IN

Down toward the bottom of this page, PoolMath there is a pool volume calculator.

Your math is good, pool is around 20,000-21,000 gallons.

Post your test results and we'll see.

Down toward the bottom of this page, PoolMath there is a pool volume calculator.

Your math is good, pool is around 20,000-21,000 gallons.

Post your test results and we'll see.

Thanks for thereply. test results are posted from Leslie's until I receive my test kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Leslie's Test Results
FC-0
TA-20
pH-7.0
CYA-0
CH-360
TDS-700
Phosphates-200

Guy from the store said I need to raise the alkalinity first.He said I need 15lbs of it.going to buy baking soda.please help me out now that I got some test results.thanks

If those test result are accurate, I agree that you should add about 15lbs of baking soda. Are you adding chlorine or bleach to the pool?

If those test result are accurate, I agree that you should add about 15lbs of baking soda. Are you adding chlorine or bleach to the pool?

These results are from Leslies. The guy took his time, looked like he knew what he was doing and talking about.he even told me that the product he sells is just baking soda. He tested everything.I was in the store for like 30min. Hope they are accurate....I went and bought baking soda and 8.25% liquid bleach at sams club.I need help here. I want to take it step by step.he told me that when I add the baking soda to let the pump run for 4 hours before adding any other chemical. But ill do whatever you guys recommend me to do. Im here for help.And I appreciate you replying.

Thanks

First Test Results PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Just joined the other day.Glad I found this community right on time. I posted in the "Getting Started" section introducing myself and talking about my pool experience. I'm a new pool owner.Bought a house that came with it.I ordered a TF100 Test Kit and waiting for it to arrive. While waiting on that I went to leslies to get test results while I wait for the kit. Here are the results

Lesties Test Results 4/21/15

FC-0
TA-20
pH-7.0
CYA-0
CH-360
TDS-700
Phosphates-200

Please guide me step by step what should I do first. Guy at the store said to add 15lbs of baking soda to raise my alkalinity. I went and bought baking soda and also got some 8.25% bleach. I haven't added anything to the water yet. I want to know first what you guys recommend me to do. He also mention that theres some type of mineral in the water.

Thanks for looking

Re: New Pool Owner.First Opening/TEST RESULTS IN!!!

Ok, that is fine, add the baking soda and let the pump run on low speed 4 hours or over night if you want. You need to add about 3ppm of chlorine to your pool daily. 95oz of 8.25% is 3ppm of chlorine for your pool.

Ok, that is fine, add the baking soda and let the pump run on low speed 4 hours or over night if you want. You need to add about 3ppm of chlorine to your pool daily. 95oz of 8.25% is 3ppm of chlorine for your pool.

Okay thanks. I will do...but one question. from the test results which ones look bad and which ones are okay? The reason why Im raising my alkalinity is to raise my pH? Im i correct?

Thanks again

Raising "alkalinity" raises TA. TA is different from PH, though they are related to each other. TA is basically a measure of how much acid/base you need to add to change the PH by a fixed amount. Or to put it another way, TA helps buffer the PH and prevent it from changing too easily. At the same time, if TA is too high, it puts upward pressure on the PH, causing to to constantly rise.

You need to adjust both TA and PH, mostly separately. Changing one will change the other just a tiny bit, but you can often ignore that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.