Think I got lucky opening

ump107

May 12, 2014
Hunterdon County, NJ
Opened up my pool on Friday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised, no green in site yet a bit cloudy and dirty. I vacuumed to waste and brushed the sides down and the bottom, then let the Dolphin loose in the pool. I didn't have time to run a set of tests on the TF-100 so I just let the filter run overnight.
Saturday morning test results.
Ph. 7.2 - added 52oz borax
CYA 50
Cl 2
CC .5
TC 2.5
CH 75
TA 60

Overall not to bad my CYA was high last year (I hate the test too)
At 4pm I added 1 gallon of bleach and then waited until 8pm when I checked for the OCLT
Ph.7.5
Cl 5.5
CC 0

630 Sunday morning the results were nothing less than spectacular.
Ph 7.5
Cl 5.5
CC 0
Nothing was alive in the pool! In order to clear out the cloudiness a little quicker I put about 1.5 cups of DE into the Skimmer to increase the filtering. By noon the Pressure climbed from 14 to 20psi. I backwash the filter and noticed I could see the bottom the water is still a bit cloudy; but I think another day or two of 24hr filtering and I will have it crystal clear. I like to run the Cl levels a little high (closer to 8 with the given CYA) to give myself cushion in the event I can't get to it for a day.

My only question is should I shoot to raise the CH and the TA?

I purchased a Solar cover this year, once I trim it to size and repair the handle on the reel I will be putting that on as well. I hope to get the water a bit warmer than last year.

Do not need to raise CH in a vinyl pool. TA in a chlorine vinyl pool recommended level is 70-90, so raising it a tad is recommended. But, probably not a huge deal.

CYA at 50 is fine.

That is a nice pool opening! Congrats!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.