Completed DIY Build in Gilbert, AZ

Jul 29, 2014
Gilbert/AZ
I swore to myself that I would post pictures as I went along, but l failed. Managing subs and doing all of my own cleanup proved a little too tiring, and now I am going back and sharing, and hope to give someone else the hope that I was given. I watched dozens of builds and if anything, I learned that you CAN manage this yourself.

I decided to start at the end of October, 2014m figuring that most of the subs would be less stressed. I was right. Doing this also allowed me to stretch out my build and pay for each stage as it was completed. So, I began with a design...

000_zps9p5fys7p.jpg

And a shovel..
001_zps9bg0ditb.jpg

Then the real work began - for about 2 weeks...
002_zpsyssynl20.jpg

003_zpsvk2hiopt.jpg

655cb230-cd28-49eb-bd1c-344d66085e6a_zpsyeojzp2u.jpg

005_zpswynoph3q.jpg

006_zps5xjscmga.jpg

007_zps7sgbw5u4.jpg

008_zpsnybvarpt.jpg

009_zpsmtzvopvp.jpg

010_zps234vuhhz.jpg

This is the point where I took a break for about 6 weeks to let the shotcrete cure and do some major cleanup. I also re-built my block wall.

Then, after the first of the year, it was back on...
011_zpsjb4lqxau.jpg

012_zpsdcokqkdw.jpg

013_zpsaejmjtrh.jpg

014_zpsjbmbqdze.jpg

015_zpsahsxzb62.jpg

Fill time!
016_zps7abavzyf.jpg

017_zps6vscoili.jpg

And all done...
018_zpslhx6nqac.jpg

019_zpsglgt0ldm.jpg

As you can see, I got tired of all of the block and opted for a composite equipment fence. I have a camera mounted on my patio and as each stage was in process, I took a picture every 5 seconds. I then took those pics and made a time lapse of the entire project. The files are kind of large, but if anyone is curious, PM me and I'll send you a link.

Thanks again to all of the members that shared their builds. I know I learned a lot from them and that I'm not alone.

Any guess on how much you saved, being your own builder and hiring subs directly?

You know, it's really hard to say. I'm sure it was in the thousands though. Some things are hard to measure. For instance, if you look at my drawing then at my finished pool, I added a bench, removed a step, and extended the baja. making those changes cost me $0 because my subs didn't care and I didn't have to go back to a builder and submit change requests. Also, I did all of my own cleanup (one bid I got was $300 x 3 cleanups), built my own wall (cost me $250 vs $500 bid), built my own equipment wall, etc. While some subs offered "cash discounts" I always made sure to use licensed contractors and got receipts for everything. To most "cash" to them is getting paid at the end of the day and not waiting 30 days for the PB to pay them.

I like the look of those pavers also. Are you concerned with them getting too hot? I Want to install pavers also but temperature in June-August is my big concern.

Obviously, only time will tell, but let's face it, we live in AZ and if I had a deck made of Jello it would still be warm! I initially wanted to go with acrylic lace, but the wife wanted pavers. I compromised by finding these Belgard Noce pavers that are made with white concrete. They are definitely cooler than the coping and the cost was about 50 cents/sq foot more.

Obviously, only time will tell, but let's face it, we live in AZ and if I had a deck made of Jello it would still be warm! I initially wanted to go with acrylic lace, but the wife wanted pavers. I compromised by finding these Belgard Noce pavers that are made with white concrete. They are definitely cooler than the coping and the cost was about 50 cents/sq foot more.

You have me there, likely going to find out this weekend. They do look great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.