Replacing motor for Hayward SP2607x10

Apr 19, 2015
MS
We recently purchased a home with a pool. Going into it we know that the pool needed some work. I consider myself pretty handy and have a great deal of experience with eletrical work so I figured I could replace the motor that was going out on our Hayward SP2697X10. I ordered the repalcement 1 HP motor and began the disassemble steps of the existing motor. As I took each piece apart, I took pictures and grouped everything in baggies. I placed everything back together and have it wired as directed. I power on the system and the motor hums but then cuts off after 10 seconds. Motor is warm to the touch. First instinct was the check they impeller. I took the basket out with the power off and was unable to spin the impeller. I disconnected the motor from the filter and removed the diffuser. The impeller spins. So I think I have found my problem. I place the diffuser back on and the impeller doesnt spin.

I know that I have assembled all the parts back like they were. I am wondering if the previous owners pool person might not have assembled the parts correctly. There is a rubber gasket between the impeller and diffuser but these seems to bind the impeller.

What am I missing?

Welcome to TFP!

The impeller shouldn't touch anything except the shaft and shaft seal. Although the impeller does get quite close to the diffuser, they should not touch each other, nor should there be a gasket between them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.