Backfill and Retaining Wall Questions

Jun 27, 2011
We just had our pool installed a few days ago and I'm getting frustrated on deciding what to do with the back-fill. My pool installer didn't have a definite answer and I've gotten about 80 different answers on what to do. So, I'm gonna post some pics and see what you guys think. I'd rather not do a retaining wall. The yard slopes very slightly away from the house. The excavator had to dig about 15" on the high side and that slopes to ground level on the other side of the pool. I plan on making a wrap around deck on the high slope side eventually, but not yet.

I was thinking of back-filling with about 4" of dirt along the pool wall in a cove shape to keep water away from the pool wall. Then put the plastic drain pipe around the high side of the slope draining to the low side. Maybe put some gravel on top of that and call it a day. The ground on the high slope site is is fairly flat, it just looks worse right now because there's a pile of dirt resting there from the excavation.

Click here for the pics

My slope was 20 sum inches... This is not bad at all but let me warn you that if you put dirt up against the pool, it will rust it no matter what. There is no way around it. I leveled the bottom of our yard with the excess dirt. Its the only level spot on our hill. I installed a deck on the hillside that will be partially buried (yes wood rots but I live on a hill). Check out my build I just bumped earlier today.

Good luck

So, you are in the same position I am going to be, I was just going to fill with gravel/rock or something like that and call it a day.. I dont really want dirt up against the pool, I want it to drain away...

I will be watching what others say..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.