Installing our first framed pool, an AG 18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame, western WA

Apr 4, 2015
Western, WA
Hello TFP! I've been scouring this forum and have really been inspired and educated by the members here--thank you!

We have had two seasons with a 12x30 summer escapes ring pool, but our kids are growing fast and so we are moving up to an 18x48 pool. I'll attached pics to share the progress. Please chime in with any suggestions for us!

Marked out an 18' diameter and 20' diameter circle using a piece of rebar as a center post, measuring out 9' with a string and walking in a circle around the rebar with spray paint on the grass. Repeated with a 10' mark on the string. Worked perfectly and took mere minutes.

yard 1.jpg

Then, using an edging spade, when around the entire edge slicing through the grass. I also used the spade to cute narrow pizza shaped slices in toward the center of the circle. This helped getting the grass out.
pool 1.jpg

Out comes the shovel and wheel barrow. Nothing but physical labor here. But progress was steady and encouraging.

Jason

This, my friend, is the hardest, most physically draining and most IMPORTANT part of owning a swimming pool! Good luck! I don't envy you!

This reminds me of when we first set up our pool.

On the box it proudly proclaimed "Ready for water in just 45 minutes! "

It turned into a running joke with us.

Has it been 45 minutes yet?

Lol... Yeah right!

After a month away due to work, I put in some more time last night. Getting closer to level. The yard has about a 4 to 5" slope from one side of the pool space to the other (fence side is low side), so I am working on addressing that. Embedding a photo below.

Have a new Intex 3,000 GPH sand filter onsite from Amazon, picked up a used NG pool heater off craigslist that I will work on getting set up soon as well, a Teledyne Laars 175k BTU unit. Hayward skimmer here from Amazon, just need to install it once the pool is set up. Intex pool light from Amazon here. 18' solar cover from Amazon here.

Will 'play sand' from Lowes work for the sand filter? Or do I need specifically the #20 silica sand? This play sand is very fine and is pre-washed per the manufacturer.

Hoping to set the pool up this weekend.

5-28-15.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Poolsand.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good job with the pictures!

Nope-----no play sand. It does need to be "pool" sand. It is quite different (not sure what the difference is but.........

Good luck with the leveling of the area! Have plenty of adult drinks on hand to help with it! LOL

Kim

Thanks Kim. In the last few minutes I did some searching on the forum here about the play sand--yes I will stay away from it. Local Ace does not have the silica, but can order it in. Local pool store has #40 bags for $13.18/each. I'll get it from the pool store. I have never been in there--hopefully this will be my only visit. :)

I need some CYA--should I get that @ the pool store too?

I have bleach, muratic acid and borax already.

I get my CYA from Walmart- stabilizer is what the call it. Just look at the ingredients

When you walk into the pool store just put your fingers in your ears and say lalalalalalala Oh and look at all of the cool toys they have!

Kim

I am right there with ya on the leveling. I just finished mine with about the same slope and the same pool. The digging and leveling took like 2 weeks with my bad back. I had the sand in and leveled in 1 day, and the pool assembled and half full in one day. By the next evening the whole family was in the pool!

I bought my CYA at walmart for about $13 for 4 lbs. Just to give you a price comparison for when you go to the pool store.

This is the hardest part. You're almost finished. Don't take anybshort cuts now. See it through to the end!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.