Long Island , NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Just had a new 18x33 above ground pool installed. My 30 year pool bit the dust this winter. Since I am starting from scratch with the water, I had to get some salt since I have a SWG system. I chose Morton Pool Salt due to the brand name and the claim on the package that it is high purity, fast dissolving and free from impurities. Got it at Walmart for the price of $6.38 for a 40lb bag - home run, right? After emptying 12 bags into the pool I started to sweep it around to aid in dissolving. I soon noticed some strange objects in the piles that did not look like salt. It became apparent the objects were numerous small pebbles and other debris. - not the best scenario for an above the ground pool with a vinyl liner. I checked the bag again and in small print on the back it stated that since the salt is a natural product produced in ponds and dried by the sun, it may contain small stones and other minerals. Giving that statement HOW THE HECK CAN THEY LABEL THE BAG ON THE FRONT IN BIG LETTERS THAT STATES "HIGH PURITY, NO ADDITIVES "!!! Now I have the added chore of vacuuming up all the **** from their product before it wrecks my new liner. I would highly recommend that every one stay away from Morton Pool Salt. - John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John,
I hate to hear of your woes with pepples in the salt.

For what its worth, if you need to add salt in the future, a lot of us, me included, use Solar Salt. You can save a few dollars by using it if you are so inclined.

I get mine at home depot which I provided a link below for.
Ive never noticed any pebbles or anything else in the solar salt.

The only large difference between pool salt and solar salt, is how fine the salt grains are. For 2$ bag difference in price, I dont mind if it takes 20 minutes for the larger grains to dissolve vs the fine grains of the pool salt.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diamond-...arse-Water-Softening-Salt-100012454/100172669

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I don't understand your comment here?? What same problem with residue ??? Residue = clean-up, NO ?????
Oh, you don't mind pebbles and other debris introduced into you new virgin vinyl liner pool? When you get a product that is labeled high purity, no additives, you expect that product live up to your expectations. Never had a problem with garbage in the salt that I added to my last pool that I got from the pool store 10 years ago. And we are not just talking about residue.We are talking about small stones that can punch through the vinyl liner if stepped on. Fortunately it is not swimming season where I live on Long Island and I have time to scour the pool and hopefully get all the stones removed.

Oh, you don't mind pebbles and other debris introduced into you new virgin vinyl liner pool? When you get a product that is labeled high purity, no additives, you expect that product live up to your expectations. Never had a problem with garbage in the salt that I added to my last pool that I got from the pool store 10 years ago. And we are not just talking about residue.We are talking about small stones that can punch through the vinyl liner if stepped on. Fortunately it is not swimming season where I live on Long Island and I have time to scour the pool and hopefully get all the stones removed.

I think you COMPLETELY missed what I was asking here ?? Eaamon has me confused, first line states " mine from Lowes was the same problem with residue ", last line states "it costs more but no clean up" To me unwanted residue equals clean up!!!!!
Are we talking about TWO different salt products ???

Yes, it's two different products. Don't let this turn into a fight fellas. Everyone is just trying to understand what's happening. Please keep it civil.

Let us know how it comes out and what they say Johnny. I would be HOT myself.

To anyone else interested, it's anecdotal, but I use solar crystals for my softener, and I clean the brine tank about once a year. Never found any pebbles and the purity is amazingly good. Point being, this is a good product to consider for your salt pool needs, and I would choose it had I one myself.

I think you COMPLETELY missed what I was asking here ?? Eaamon has me confused, first line states " mine from Lowes was the same problem with residue ", last line states "it costs more but no clean up" To me unwanted residue equals clean up!!!!!
Are we talking about TWO different salt products ???
I picked up solar salt at lowes. I too was disappointed with the residue spots all over the steps and bottom.

the other part is my local pool store has the 'aquasalt' link just added to another in this section, we were talking salts.
the Aquasalt has a msds of 99.9% pure, it leaves no residue to clean up afterwards. more time to swim.
but it does cost more. the company says it is rated a "food quality salt....not for table use."
I did use the solar salt when my local store ran out of the better grade salt.
hope you understand now, it is two different salts and prices. you get what you pay for.........

I picked up solar salt at lowes. I too was disappointed with the residue spots all over the steps and bottom.

the other part is my local pool store has the 'aquasalt' link just added to another in this section, we were talking salts.
the Aquasalt has a msds of 99.9% pure, it leaves no residue to clean up afterwards. more time to swim.
but it does cost more. the company says it is rated a "food quality salt....not for table use."
hope you understand now, it is two different salts and prices. you get what you pay for.........

Thank you very much for the clarification.

What puzzles me about Aquasalt is that it says it has "stain fighters", which to me means it has some additive. I contacted the company about what is added to fight stains, but no one could tell me. I tried a few bags myself and was very disappointed. When I added it to my pool grey scum floated to the surface. Needless to say I haven't used it since.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.