Pool consuming acid like crazy

My plaster pool was completed in Nov 2014. Since then, it has been consuming a lot of acid. I was told this would be the case initially, but it does not seem to be slowing down much. It is a saltwater pool that is covered most of the time.

I just tested and got:

TA 130 (too high?)
FC 5.5
CC 0.5
ph > 8.2 (need to add acid... again)

I have been going through about two gallons of muriatic acid every couple of weeks, and the pH is always back over 8.2 (the top of my scale) when I do another weekly test.

Thoughts?

You should be adding acid more frequently, so that the PH never gets above 8.0.

Fresh plaster causes the PH, TA, and CH levels to go up rapidly for roughly a month, and more slowly for about a year. However, colder weather slows that time line down significantly, so that "roughly a month" can sometimes last from late fall into the spring.

A gallon of acid a week really isn't very much compared to a typical fresh plaster startup, which can sometimes run as high as a gallon of acid a day for the first month.

Don't worry about the TA until the acid additions settle down a little.

You should be adding acid more frequently, so that the PH never gets above 8.0.

Fresh plaster causes the PH, TA, and CH levels to go up rapidly for roughly a month, and more slowly for about a year. However, colder weather slows that time down line significantly, so that "roughly a month" can sometimes last from late fall into the spring.

A gallon of acid a week really isn't very much compared to a typical fresh plaster startup, which can sometimes run as high as a gallon of acid a day for the first month.

Don't worry about the TA until the acid additions settle down a little.

Great, thanks for your advice. I got the pool down to the bottom of the range yesterday and I'll keep after it every day for awhile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.