Tylor Test Kit

Aug 28, 2008
New to pools and still learning. This is such a gret forum, i appreciate all your suggestions!!

Which Tylor test kit is best to get. I have been reading about the Tylor k2500,k2600 the Tylor k100 and others. I'm a bit confused as to which to get. I need some input from this forum as to which one is best and the pros and cons on each. I want something good but not to complicated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

PS where is the best place to purchase one?

Of the Taylor kits, the K2006 is really the only choice. The K2005 doesn't cut it. I know poolcenter.com handles it and I've had good luck buying from them.

I'd recommend you go to TFtestkits.com and order the TF-100. It's roughly the same kit, and the business is operated by a member here (Duraleigh). He'll get it to you very quickly and help you understand the testing process.

I think i need better understanding as how to read the colors. Other test kit's come with a plastic device to compare the colors to. I was looking at the instructions and noticed that this set is very diferent compared to others, as far as the reading goes.

It's the same kit, just costs more. You won't find it in a store, so you'll have to order anyway. All of the kits mentioned have color comparator vials where needed. You don't need the color comparison for anything but the OTO chlorine test and the pH test.

I tend to overtest my water and Dave's kit provides quite a bit extra of the chemicals for those of us who are test addicts!! I would highly recommend the TF100 as well. I bought a small fas-dpd kit from Leslie's (at the store, but not a full kit) and sure enough, it was expired, according to the lady at Taylor. By the way, Taylor will not give you an exact expiration date - they will simply say "yes" or "no" on the expiration. But I was told at another pool store that the only ones that really expire, when it says they're expired, are the one's with color. He said the clear one's are still usually good.

But I did tests with both kits and found them comparable in results and was able to use up the rest of my little Taylor kit before starting on Dave's kit. Again, I highly recommend the TF100!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cherie,

Thanks for those very kind words...I appreciate that.

But I was told at another pool store that the only ones that really expire, when it says they're expired, are the one's with color. He said the clear one's are still usually good.
Taylor is pretty non-commital with me, too, when I ask about expiration dates. Three things stick out in my mind to get the most life from the Taylor K-2006 or my TF-100...

1. the R-0871 (drops for the FC test) is light sensitive which is why it comes in an opaque bottle. It seems to me most of the photo-sensitive chemistry tends to be heat sensitive too so I take special care to keep that one indoors.

2. Keep the R-0871 powder dry. It will turn dark regardless but it will still be useful as long as it hasn't gotten in a really humid condition.

3. 1 and 2 above lead to the very best thing you can do for your kit....keep it stored indoors in an air conditioned/heated environment. That will give you the very best longevity you can hope for......I'm just not sure how long that is :lol:

jbequer said:
I think i'm leaning towards the (Leslies Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit) I guess it seems easier for me, a new pool owner.

Is this a good kit? Is it the same as the k2600?
It's the same as the Taylor K-2006, but the best price you can get for the Taylor K-2006 kit online is here. Don't forget that the TF100 kit from tftestkits.com has 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".

My personal preference and vote is for the TF100 from TFTESTKITS.Com!

The kit has everything you need and MORE of it.....more bang for the buck.

Dave has excellent customer service and is an active member of this site always here to help!

No other test kit offers that :-D

Quick question...I just got a new pool and the kit the PB gave me is useless. I am looking at the TF-100 and the Taylor K-2006. The guy from pool company that started up my pool recommended the Taylor and told me it has a book that helps you determine a regiment based on your test numbers. He did the first one using the Taylor kit and it has what to do for the first week. I notice the pool calculator is similar, but doesn't do projections for a week. I was leaning towards the Taylor for this feature. Am I mistaken as to what the book with the Taylor does? Is it pretty much the same thing the pool calculator does?

Thanks.

Rockadile,

#1 - Welcome to TFP!!

#2 I haven't heard of Schwenksville in ~ 23 years (when I went to school in Pottstown) :)

#3 Love the 'angry monkey in the closet' avitar!

I'm sitting here looking at my well worn copy of Taylor's "Pool & Spa Water Chemistry" booklet (part #2004B), it's a nice book but is way off on some of it's suggestions/ guidelines! I think you'd be better off learning pool chemistry here and going with the TF 100 kit!!!!! I have to use mine 'in the field' when working on pools for the dosing charts, but the calculator is better (years of experience allow me to adjust what I add vs. what they say to add) - if I had a laptop, I'd just ditch the book and use Jason's calculator :goodjob:

I strongly suggest you to get Dave's kit and rely on this site to help you adjust the chemistry :!: Taylor will not help you as much as Dave and the experts on this site will!

Thanks waste. I appreciate the tips. Unfortunately, I got a bit nervous about having a crappy test kit with a new pool and the amount of time it would take to get Dave's kit, so I pulled the trigger on the Taylor test kit as my pool guy had a great price to boot.

duraleigh said:
Dumb question, but i noticed that the k100 does not come with the plastic color site guage. How do you now what the reading is?
Which test are you referring to?

Hi Dave,

I'm, also new to the forum and have learned more in one evening than in 30 years of pool slavery. I'm ready to order a TF100 too but have the same "dumb" question. The image of the kit on your site does not show any colored comparator panels that I can see and the vials themselves appear clear. I'm trying to understand how one judges color change in individual tests where that is part of the process, assuming of course that some of the tests do require colormetric comparisons.

Is the TF100 manual or instruction doc available online?

testkit_010.jpg

In the front row towards the right of the TF100 there is a blue box with a white label. That is a Taylor K-1000 test kit, which contains the OTO chlorine and PH color comparator. You can see a picture of the contents of a K-1000 here.

None of the other tests require comparisons to a color standard.

The instructions are printed on the label you can see on the lid of the box. I don't know of anywhere you can find them on-line, hopefully Dave will speak up soon. They are similar to the K-2006 instructions, though not quite the same.

critterdoc,

The color comparator is inside the blue plastic box you see in the kit. It is a quick daily test for chlorine. The other tests are drops-based and work differently. The solution start as one color and change to another when you reach a certain point.

For example, the free chlorine test will start pink and, at some point depending on how much FC you have, will turn clear. You count the drops of reagent as you add. Drops-based tests are far more accurate and precise than color comparator tests or test strips.

The complete instructions for the tests will be posted later this fall but, if you send me your email, I'll send them to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.