Air Bubbles coming out of skimmer pipe

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
When I look down into both skimmers with the baskets removed I see air bubbles coming out of the pipe that connects to the bottom of both skimmers. I read through pool school dealing with leaks and tried a few of the tips and I cannot locate the air leak. It is just a small amount of bubbles and they just rise to the top of the skimmer and dissolve. It is not causing any problems, but I would like to know where the leak is. I think the leak is above ground (around the pump and valves) but I can't seem to find it. I turned off the drain valve and I still have the leak. Since both skimmers are leaking air bubbles the same way I'm thinking there is a leak at the pump and the air is going against the current and out at the skimmer. The order of plumbing is pump, shallow skimmer, deep skimmer, pool floor drains, and then out to skimmers.
I already tried lubing the pump lid and pump drain plugs.

Are your skimmers plumbed in with your bottom drain? Is there a problem? Are you losing water? Or just concerned about the bubbles?
The main drain and skimmers tie in together at the valves next to the pump. So if all the valves are open I guess you could say they were tied together. I don't think that I am losing any water. I just opened the pool Saturday, I'm not having any problems related to the bubbles. They are very small and maybe it is something that I never noticed in the prior years of operation. The only thing that is different this year is that I removed the device (vac alert) that stops suction if a kid would sit on both the bottom drains at the same time. Also there are no bubbles coming from any of the four return jets. Thanks for trying to help.

Update. I got home from work and took another look at the skimmers. The bubbles are created from water coming over the flapper gate. With the baskets removed a few bubbles are created on top and some of them are being sucked down the pipe. With the basket in the bubbles get popped on the way down to the pipe. There seemed to be more bubbles right when I installed the flapper, I think because the foam in the flapper had air stuck in it. Anyhow, everything is looking and working well. Thanks for responding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.