New pool, Manor, Texas

Mar 18, 2015
Manor, Texas
After much research, we have signed our contract and are awaiting our pool build. We have limited access to our backyard; therefore we are anticipating quite a bit of destruction to our front lawn as they go in and out and across our lawn.
But, I suppose that it will be worth the struggle and inconvenience in the long run. We shopped around and considered salt water but decided to go with a regular chlorine system with UV.
This will be my first inground pool and I'm pretty excited! I have had an above ground pool years ago, so I'm fairly familiar with the daily task of testing the water and troubleshooting. But I'm very thankful for this site with the opportunity to correspond with others and get their advice. Social media and technology is great for bring people with similar interests together.
The pool: I have a couple of photos that I will post and the specs and I will post pictures here of the progress. We went with a simple geometric design with a waterfall, tanning shelf, underwater seating and a bubbler. Our dimensions are 31.6 x 19, approximately.
Our main purpose for the pool is to add some beauty to our backyard, get exercise and attract the grandchildren. My husband and I are both pretty excited.
This was our original design. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429446380.766116.jpg but we decided to flip the pool and add a tanning shelf
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429446441.227592.jpg
This is the design with lights and the waterfall. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429446491.153827.jpg
I will add more details soon and post pictures.
Any input on the design would be appreciated. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429446566.690582.jpg This is the latest dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to TFP! It looks like a beautiful design. Is the tall tree already in the yard? If not you may want to move it farther back to prevent leaves dropping directly into the pool.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool! Nice looking design. Is that a bench across the back for sitting? Benches are great for adults to sit and sip and kids to play. Is the arrow in the back the pool light? I would move that to the house side. Pool lights can cause glare if they shine toward the house or main seating areas.

Here is some info on updating your signature, What we need to know to answer your questions
Here is some basic pool water chemistry info, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
And here is info on chlorinating your pool, How to Chlorinate Your Pool

As Tim asked, we would like to know what your PB considers a regular chlorine pool. There are several choices and some are better than others.

Thanks, everyone! Yes, the tree is in the yard, and it will drop leaves into the pool. The light is on the same side as the house. Can anyone give me feedback on depth? We are starting with 3.5 and graduating down to 5'. Any feedback will be helpful.

There is a lot of discussion here about pool depth. We have 3.5x5x4. And 3.5 is too shallow in my opinion. I would go 4x5x4 next time. We love our play pool. It makes it feel much bigger because people can spread out. Sometimes we make a kid side and an adult side.

The contract states inline chlor w/ ultra UV system.

The inline chlor uses tabs, which only takes a little reading around here to figure out is not the best way to chlorinate your pool.

The ultra UV is probably just unnecessary. UV really doesn't add to an outdoor pool. Here are previous comments from Chem Geek and JasonLion:

There are literally tens of thousands of pool owners on this forum, The PoolForum and some other websites that have crystal clear outdoor residential pools without the use of UV, ozone, algaecide, mineral ion systems, supplemental oxidation systems, clarifiers, floculants, etc. Bacteria double in population in 15-60 minutes in ideal conditions which is usually far slower than the turnover rate that is typically hours. Furthermore, most bacteria grow on pool surfaces and NEVER get circulated. If not killed quickly by chlorine, they form biofilms and become even more resistant to getting killed. Also, a UV system will not prevent person-to-person transmission of disease in a short-term release incident, though realistically that's more of an issue for commercial/public high bather-load pools.

Also, though UV can reduce chloramines, it can increase trihalomethanes such as chloroform. The UV in sunlight has a different spectrum that may produce less side effects while still producing powerful hydroxyl radicals for superior oxidation from a slow breakdown of chlorine. For residential pools, UV is most useful for indoor pools since the lack of sunlight usually requires some form of supplemental oxidation be it UV, ozone or non-chlorine shock (MPS) to oxidize bather waste that is otherwise slow to get oxidized by chlorine (or that form combined chlorine).
The primary purpose of UV lights is to remove excess combined chlorine (CC), normally only an issue on indoor pools. Properly installed UV lights will help reduce algae but can't possibly eliminate algae on their own. Likewise they can provide some assistance in sanitizing the pool, but can never sanitize the pool on their own. UV lights only affect the water passing through them. The bulk of the water remains in the pool at any given moment and is thus not protected.

You have to have some sanitizer in the bulk pool water or the water is not safe to swim in. The only three EPA approved sanitizers are chlorine, bromine, and baquacil. Chlorine is usually the best choice. Bromine is good for hot tubs because it is more stable than chlorine at high temperatures. Baquacil is rather expensive and many people using baquacil report major problems after the first year or two.

Yes, we questioned that. The PB implied that the UV would reduce the amount of chlorine needed.
We originally wanted a SW system. But this particular PB wasn't too impressed.
It's a huge undertaking and we had to make a decision. What are you recommending?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, we questioned that. The PB implied that the UV would reduce the amount of chlorine needed.
We originally wanted a SW system. But this particular PB wasn't too impressed.
It's a huge undertaking and we had to make a decision. What are you recommending?

I recommend your original thought, a SW system. The pool builders comments are common for folks selling UV systems, but for the reason's in the quoted passages, UV doesn't replace chlorine.

Thanks. What coping would you recommend? I understand limestone is not good with the SW systems.

Now you are outside my comfort zone... My deck and coping are all stamped concrete. If you are going to use a limestone that may react with the salt the next choice I would have for chlorination would be a Stenner pump to deliver continuous liquid chlorine. But if you think your pool builder didn't like salt, his head will probably spin around if you mention a chlorine pump....

I believe that concrete contractors are getting to be really good at doing cast concrete coping that looks like limestone.

You cannot beat saltwater for ease of use. My last two pools have been saltwater and we will never have another pool that isn't.

I'm sorry you have to deal with an HOA. I would rather undergo root canal than deal with another one. We had one in Atlanta that used a professional company to run things, but had a couple of retired guys who,drove the neighborhood looking for things to report. Sigh.....

Grass is the first casualty in a pool build. Figure the back yard and at least one side yard all the way to the street is toast.

I'm crossing my fingers that there are no issues and you are swimming soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information on cast concrete coping. I never heard of that. We are going with the chlorinator for now. I'm sure after reading all of this that we will regret it.

as long as you stop using it when your CYA gets to 50 and start manually chlorinating with liquid you will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.