Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 Light?

Feb 26, 2015
Austin
My PB is trying to talk me into this instead of the standard white halogen. The reviews on Amazon are horrible. It looks like they die right after the warranty expires and cost close to $1k to replace. Anyone use this light?

I had a colorlogic for about 3 years. It has not worked the last 2 years. It seems the reviews were correct regarding mine. It got water inside after a couple of years and shorted out. It had very, very few uses on it. I always tried to reserve the bulb by making sure not to use it unless necessary, but in the end the leaking go it.

I am online now trying to find something better to replace it with or determine if they have changed the design to better withstand being submerged.

A lot of changes have been made to the light over the years. Much heartier than the past.

That's pretty much word for word what my PB said when we were discussing the upgrade...almost like it was part of a sales brochure.

No offense, but it's pretty hard to trust a statement like that, knowing the source.

My PB also argued with me that the ColorLogic was brighter than the standard white, despite all the things I've read here and in online reviews. Is that true? Which is brighter, the ColorLogic or the standard white?

I have this colorlogic 4.0 light and I have used it maybe 6 times over the last three years and it no longer works. After some research I guess there is not much to do except just replace it.

The pool company installed the light but after reviews saying exactly the same thing that the light doesn't last I'd like to replace it with a Pentair and I'm wondering if the housing fits all the lights or am I stuck with Hayward?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just wanted to add this about the Hayward. I benched the light and found that water had seeped into the light and it was easily visible what had happened. It is a very poor design where the seal between the back plate and the glass is made. The SS plate is thin, the tab is too long and is preventing the rubber at the top of the light from making a perfect seal so eventually it had to fail.

Although it worked well and I got a few years out of it water was what did it in.

Hayward was made aware of the flaw but they choose only to say the warranty period has expired.

Things break, I get it but clearly this was a design flaw.

John

Attachments

• Lite_low.jpg
    Lite_low.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 258
....snip.....The SS plate is thin, the tab is too long and is preventing the rubber at the top of the light from making a perfect seal so eventually it had to fail.....snip....John

Curious, do you think sealing the outside/lip/area with silicone would have prevented the failure? Several of the negative Amazon reviews point towards water leakage. I'm wondering if sealing the unit before installation might help them last. I admit we shouldn't have to do that to a $500 item, but we are a little limited for options in the pool LED light market.

Hayward, is this a known point of failure? Have you guys updated the design? Is there something that installers could be doing better that would help improve life expectancy?

If you go back to my post a couple up you'll see I had the Hayward and it failed due to water leakage. Hayward has since sent me a replacement even though mine was out of warranty a couple years. I had done a good job of documenting what I believed to be the point of failure to them which probably helped. I think the back plate needs to be stiffer but on the new one they did shorten the tab at the top of the light which I believed to be the actual failure. It's possible that this new one will not leak and only time will tell. I'm also considering removing the light in the winter months just because I don't want to go through this again. If I can get 10-years out of the light I'll be okay with buying a new one but not after three years.

If you go back to my post a couple up you'll see I had the Hayward and it failed due to water leakage. Hayward has since sent me a replacement even though mine was out of warranty a couple years. I had done a good job of documenting what I believed to be the point of failure to them which probably helped. I think the back plate needs to be stiffer but on the new one they did shorten the tab at the top of the light which I believed to be the actual failure. It's possible that this new one will not leak and only time will tell. I'm also considering removing the light in the winter months just because I don't want to go through this again. If I can get 10-years out of the light I'll be okay with buying a new one but not after three years.

I am hoping this solved the problem and Hayward has redesigned their lights. One PB wants to charge $800 for a Hayward LED light, so it better last more than 1 or 2 years.

Installed Hayward colorlogic in my new pool in 2012. Failed in 2015. Failed again in 2017. 2017 failure was water incursion. Hayward variable speed failed in 2017, bearings. Pump controller failed shortly after. Have written off all Hayward products.

Are these things failing over the winter? I ask because my neighbor removes the lights (Twist out), removes the bulbs and lets the housing fall down to the bottom of the pool (on its cord) to ensure its safe from the ice.

I just had Colourlogics installed in (12v) so will see how long they last.

I have 2 Colorlogic 4.0 lights I will be installing this summer. Not very encouraged by what I read about them but will definitely be taking a closer look at the issue w/ the seal in back under the stainless steel plate before installing them. The pool I have is a reclamation project going on 3 years now. I was told by PB the 2 lights I already had in it needed updated for the vinyl liner. Shame cause the original 2 lights in it still worked - even after 45 yrs!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.