Teledyne Laars Series 2 Model: ESC 400N not igniting.

sandyb

Apr 18, 2015
Granada Hills, Ca
Greetings...
New to the site...so I hope I am posting in the right place.
I have a Teledyne Laars Series 2 Model: ESC 400 N pool heater that is about 14 years old, and up until this season has been completely trouble free.
This past weekend my daughter and a visiting friend wanted to use the in-ground spa ( the unit has a setting for pool or spa ) never used the pool setting, but as I stated the spa setting has been used for years without a glitch.
When I turn the pool filter on, I switch the valves from pool to the spa, and then turn the switch to spa.
But now I am getting no clicking ( as in the past ) I am getting nothing. ( on either pool or spa setting )
I am hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Sandy

No Paul...I have nothing on either setting, sorry for not being clear on that.
When I open up the front cover, I have poked around a little, with a meter, and I have 24 volts at a couple of different spots 1) at the what looks like a 24v transformer above the Honeywell Ignition Control block (S8600F)
and at the fireman's test, fusible link, nothing at the spark.

Thanks,
Sandy

I have fixed my Teledyne Laars Series 1 EPC II 400 heater, see my recent post. It was due to the thermistor wires got bitten by mouse. Reconnecting the wires fixed my problem. And the trouble shooting steps listed there might be similar to your if you can find the PDF Manuel from the Internet.

Last edited:
after reading dbg's post and based on my suspicions...I bit the bullet and ordered a replacement thermistor...
Each time I (using a multimeter) went from one lead on the thermistor to ground, the gas valve would open and the burners would fire. So I was convinced I had found the problem...yeah right....
After installing the new thermistor I turned on the power and no difference.
But I did notice that as I attempted to connect the 2nd lead from the thermistor, it would complete the circuit and the burners would fire. Momentarily...
I am not sure where to go from here?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sandy

Resistive grounding any component should not trigger a result like that under normal operating conditions. If I get time I will look up the manual for that unit and see what I can figure out.

I assume by thermistor you are referring to the water temp sensor

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What kind of filtration do you have? These heaters (all of them do) will not ignite if there isn't adequate water flow through them...I had mine (similar model) not ignite one time due to my filter being dirty...might want to check that before you go through the troubleshooting guides...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.