Winter pool never winterized or covered help!

Apr 18, 2015
westminster md
Hello!

I'm not that experienced in the pool field, we've had a above ground pool for a few years but last year we got a bigger one and I didn't want to take it down. This fall I just got so busy that I did not properly close my pool. We have a 21'x52'' intex ultra frame pool, it is salt water. In the fall after having my son this year I didn't close my pool properly, I unplugged the filter and the salt water pump and drained the pool below the filter lines. Stored the filter and pump in my shed, and didn't get around to adding any additional chemicals in my pool to winterize it. Also it was left uncovered, it does have a solar cover on it that kept alot of leaves and debris out of it but it wasn't perfect. My question is do I need to dump the whole pool and clean it and fill again, or could i shock it a few times, vacuum and clean and not have to dump all the water?

Thank you for any help!

Thank you so much for everyones feed back! I'd really like to keep the water so SLAM sounds great!
I'm not sure if i'll have the right test kits, if not then i'll buy the ones i need. I need to have filters shipped to me before i begin also.
Currently the test kit i have is hth salt pool care salt test strips. And hth 6 way test strips, they test for free chlorine, bromine,ph, total alkalinity, total hardness, and Cyanuric acid stabilizer.
Will this test kit be sufficient or should i order something else?
If these are the right test strips i can get you all that info right now.
I read on another forum that you are supposed to open before the pool hits 60 degrees, so I should order everything and start the process now? I've never left a pool up all winter before, i normally dump and put away but this pool was significantly larger then the last.
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP vrobey!

You'll want a kit. It really is essential for doing this right, so that's good thinking on your part.

We suggest a TF100 or Taylor K-2006. For your situation and most, the TF100 is a better long run buy because it has more reagent. It's reagent's are the same Taylor brand, but there are more of them in quantity. Especially that you'll be using on the SLAM procedure, which are those for testing Free Chlorine.

Welcome to TFP vrobey!

You'll want a kit. It really is essential for doing this right, so that's good thinking on your part.

We suggest a TF100 or Taylor K-2006. For your situation and most, the TF100 is a better long run buy because it has more reagent. It's reagent's are the same Taylor brand, but there are more of them in quantity. Especially that you'll be using on the SLAM procedure, which are those for testing Free Chlorine.

I have one more question, our pool is a salt water pool, should I add the salt first? Run the filter for a few days to get it up to normal chlorine levels and then start the slam process?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.