Acid - Dry or Liquid?

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
Do people generally prefer dry or liquid acid to adjust pH levels, etc.? I've been using liquid acid for 7 years, but if you happen to take a breath while pouring it in, it's not the most pleasant thing in the world! I've never tried the dry type. Also, is the dry acid typically more expensive?

Thanks.

Muriatic acid (liquid) is a bit more annoying to handle, but it is way less expensive, and also doesn't add anything you don't want in the pool. Dry acid adds sulfates. At low or medium levels sulfates aren't a problem, but if they build up to a high enough level they can cause problems.

Liquid. It can be annoying if they wind is blowing the wrong direction. I always take note of the wind direction nod stand upwind of the pour. I usually pour into a glass jar (for measurement purposes) and then to the pool.

I do a 1 quart weekly dose as part of a system to keep my ph under control. The SWG causes it to creep up.

Never tried dry, the price is a killer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been using the liquid muriatic acid at just over $8.00 a gallon from my local Ace Hardware store. I can get it $1 cheaper at larger stores but that means a 45 minute round-trip for me. I just bought PH Minus at Walmart for $11.00. All things being equal, I may be willing to pay the extra $3 for the convenience of the dry but I haven't calculated the dosage amounts to get a true cost comparison.

Whatever you do, don't buy the low fume eco=green version of liquid MA as it is half strength and not worth dealing with IMO. Do consider and research storage of liquid MA. Depending on the container it is in it can gas off in storage and rust nearby metals, as you may have noticed after years of using it.

See if you can buy liquid MA cheaper at a local paint supply shop or from a concrete jobber shop.

As to the fumes, try lowering the jug into the water down wind and pouring it from the mouth of the bottle just a few inches from the surface of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
if only they had marked quantity lines on those MA containers ... can i safely measure it in a Waalmart clear plastic measuring cup? View attachment 35499
I use a similar one. It's great when you can see the graduations from inside and above. Then you can hold it out over the water and pour far away from your nose and still measure accurately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.