Liner Floated a Number of Times - Leak

Feb 14, 2015
Chapin SC
We get downpours here in South Carolina! They are really cool for the garden....

But when you have your pool constructed in a really flat spot in your really flat yard, with lot's of clay surrounding your pool, these downpours tend to just sort of pool up all around you pool. The liner floats the first time and you as a first time pool owner freak out. So you call the local pool guy and he comes out and shows you the cool trick of just siphoning out the water behind the liner (and you pray the liner just sort of settles down to the same place it was before). But this guy is smarter than you are (I am), so he uses a pole and brush to skillfully move the liner to the places where it really need to be. What a very cool and smart guy.

So now I being a really smart guy (but not quite that smart) says to himself, "I'll same the bloody $100 and do this myself, eh?!!! Except that I have a day job and while I'm siphoning the water from behind the corner of my pool behind the vinyl line that I have skillfully pulled away from the wall, I'm off at work breaking rocks into little pieces. When I get home... SWEET!!! The liner is back down - well sort of. It's got these little creases/folds here and there. Well, maybe: all over the place is a better way to describe this cool experience. I think to myself: Maybe I needed to take the day off and use the long pole and brush and do what THAT guy did. Yup, that was what I should have done... The depression set in. Read on.

So now my cool pool seems to be leaking like the brake master cylinder on my 1971 VW bus. I watch as my water level drops an inch a day and I praise God that I have a very deep well, but what the heck. Who wants a hose in their pool all the time while swimming to simply keep up with some stupid leak. So I don my scuba gear (not really :) and start searching for leaks. Having read this forum for about 6 months now I know that all problems, no matter how devastating they may seem at the time, have solutions (sometimes simple ones).

I read about red food coloring #18 (or something like that) and I dig up a little squirt bottle, mix up the perfect ratio of water to red 18 and head out to the pool! Of course this forum says that step number 1 is turn off the pump so things settle down to a dull roar on the surface. I randomly pick the shallow end because my pool water is still pickin' cold and there's no way I gonna jump into the deep end yet... Since the water surface is starting to get pretty quiet I was pretty careful as I lowered the squirt bottle into the water around the steps....

What the heck????? Look down there at the bottom of the steps?!!! What's that brown color? Why is there vinyl just sort of flapping in the now diminishing currents? It sort of looks like when the liner floated, it just might have pulled itself out from behind whatever it is that keeps it close to the steps. I'm hosed now, cause I just spent $2.25 on this dang red #18 and I gotta tell my wife it was a complete waste. I coulda just turned off the pump and found this one! :)

Ok, I made you read all this drivel and now I'm sorry and praying that you will still answer my question:

Here it is: The shallow end is all screwed up with folds and creases here and there. There's no way I can think of that I can move the liner around enough to get it shoved back over to the steps, so I'm thinking about solving the problem right there like it is! If I cannot drag that liner back over and up to the plate that surrounds the steps, what else can I do to slow this deal back down to manageable proportions? Random thoughts may be pretty stupid on my part, but... the steps are something like plastic, or fiberglass, or whatever (not concrete). Maybe I can just glue the dang vinyl to the steps. But then I remembered I had been reading cool articles on this forum for some time now are noticed that good advice of pool owners of longer than 3 years (like me) is available.

And now you know (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of the story. How do I fix this problem?

You may have to call the pool guy back out to fix your liner. To prevent this from happening again you need to set up a drainage system to move the ground water away from the pool. You may want to consult with a professional landscaper for suggestions.

Thank you! I forgot to mention this part. After having this happen a couple of times I called up my local plumber and he got a backhoe and dug me out a 15 foot trench about two feet from the steps running parallel to the pool. It sloped slightly down, was packed clay on the bottom, and a 4 inch flexible french drain pipe laid down next and finally a foot of gravel on top. The drain empties into a sump basin with an electric pump that routes the water to the grape vines about 30 feet away. When I was telling my plumber about what I wanted he was really cautious and kept telling me that he didn't know if this would work or not. So I started worrying a bit myself about throwing that money away. IT WORKED PERFECT! Problem solved, now I just gotta fix that one spot.

I read that I should not drain my pool because it causes problems that novices can't deal with. I seems the only right way to fix this would be to drain the shallow end and recenter the liner. Is that right?

Personally I'd have the pool guy come out and fix it. Nice solution to the water issue which I may have ot copy.

You all on the north side of the lake must be soft, the wife & I have been n the pool for a couple of weeks now.:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.