Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper method to splice bonding wire?

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper method to splice bonding wire?

I am going to relocate my pool filter and pump to another area farther away from the pool. Is there a proper way to splice and extend the 6 ga. bonding wire that attaches to the pump? I was considering a split bolt splice.

Thanks.
    26' x 14' 18,400 gallon freshwater IG plaster w/spa; American Sandpiper high flow sand filter; Raypak RP2100 digital pump; rooftop solar heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    It's supposed to be a continuous wire with no splicing allowed. I can't see a "good" splice being too big a problem though. I'd use a split-bolt or bonding clamp and then seal the whole thing in liquid electrical tape, or use an underground splice for conductors that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot etc..
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Extension

Yes, as John said, most importantly, seal it well from the elements, you don't want your wire to oxidize at the joint since this will be the point of failure.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks much for the information. I will find the liquid electrical tape and use it to seal everything.
    26' x 14' 18,400 gallon freshwater IG plaster w/spa; American Sandpiper high flow sand filter; Raypak RP2100 digital pump; rooftop solar heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can also get a piece of pvc pipe and split it length ways and fill the halves with some good silicone and put the halves back together over the splice and tie them together, this works good also.
    28K IG, stonescapes pebble, raised spa, hayward heater, 2HP Super II pump, Hayward 60ft DE filter, built around 1980, remodeled 2007.

6. Back To Top    #6

Woudn't hurt to solder the splice either. You can also slide some pipe or plastic tubing on the wire before you join them, make the splice, slide the tubing over it, and then pump it full of silcone caulk.

Just a couple more options.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Another option may be to se heat shrink tubing over the soldered splice, then a dab of silicone on eaither end for that added measure. The heat shrink tubing should push any air and moisture out of the area.
    1980's Shasta built 30,000 gal inground diving pool. Pebble-tec interior. Pentair DE Filter. In ground pop-ups. Hayward Navigator sweeper.