is it too early to open pool in chicago?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks guys. I brought the pump out of the basement and hooked it back up but I decided I am going to drain the water out as i want to fix two of the legs that started to poke out at the bottom. I also want to move it about a foot over since i will have it drained.

Open it. If I didnt have a few inches of Ice, I would be opening mine too. Gotta wait a week or 10 days up here. I try to open by the end of April each year even up here. Then the cleanup begins and after that, Heating up the water to take the first dip.

I am in Peoria and am waiting for another month or so. Weather looks sketchy and my kids are in school for another month. I have rolled back my autocover and ran the robot and it is clean and the levels are great. Just not going to run the pump and heater for a month to have the kids swim once.

Plus this last month will generally give me a free 10-15 degree water temp gain from the heat of the sun and the cover being closed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swampwoman called it: when she opens her pool then the snow and/or ice hit. She said "Tuesday or Wednesday". She was right on the money!

But seriously, what do you northerners who open the pool now DO with the open pool? Do you just let the pump and filter run with the pool uncovered and LOOK at the water till mid-May, or heat it, or jump in and freeze? LOL :confused:

Me? I cheat... I have an auto-cover. I open to let rain water in, then close back up again. When the water level is above mid-skimmer, I start 'er up at my leisure. I am about an inch or so short now.

We Northerners need to open before the water gets to 60 degrees and then it can take a while to get everything balanced. Occasionally we get surprised with something and have to deal with it. My neighbor opened to a brown swamp last year after 15 years of opening clear. Stuff. Happens.

Another neighbor is up, running, heating, and has had 3 swims and a pool party for the kids already. Good. Stuff. Happens. Too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.