Panic (should I?) rust on gunite!

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
I haven't had time to post new pictures on our pool build, but I woke up this morning to rust (looks like rust) running down the gunite walls (gunite on Thursday) in a couple of places. I don't recall seeing this on any other pool build threads.

Is this bad, or just part of new gunite before plastering? I'm trying not to panic, and hopefully my concern will turn out to be a good laugh. Posting 2 pictures below. Thanks in advance - Suz.

20150418_081014.jpg20150418_081011.jpg

It appears to be coming from returns into the pool, correct? If so, I would ignore it as your pool water will not be rusty. I have no idea where it came from......might not even be rust. Point it out to your PB and ask him the source.

To me, there seems to be wayyy to much of it to be rust. Suz, if you guys have been getting a lot of rain like we have here a 200 miles north of you, then its probably stains from red clay soil.

I haven't had time to post new pictures on our pool build, but I woke up this morning to rust (looks like rust) running down the gunite walls (gunite on Thursday) in a couple of places. I don't recall seeing this on any other pool build threads.

Is this bad, or just part of new gunite before plastering? I'm trying not to panic, and hopefully my concern will turn out to be a good laugh. Posting 2 pictures below. Thanks in advance - Suz.

View attachment 35437View attachment 35436

I was thinking that too, except I don't think there is red clay in Houston. Pretty sure it is all black clay. Don't see how there could be that much rust though. Maybe they backfilled with some sand or something with red clay in it.

Man, we really have been getting the rain! You can see the amount of water in the deep end just from Thursday night. And it's not coming from the water hose!!! I didn't even think about it being from the soil. I've lived where the soil/clay is really red, and ours isn't the same. But, our soil here must have more red to it than I realized, because the backed up pond at my back door is almost the color of the streaks in the pool.

I feel much better thinking it's probably just the red clay soil. A good lesson, though... I certainly don't want that to run into the completed pool!!! Earlier, I did text those pictures to my pb, and I'm sure he will get back to me when he can. I feel like if it were serious, he would have already been knocking on my door!!! ;)

Thanks again, and here's to a healthy balance of sun and rain!!! :sun: Suz

yeah, and the ground is so wet, I can't mow it!

Yep, good news! That sun and rain combo sure is making the grass grow!

- - - Updated - - -

Im sure its just soil stains.... nothing to worry about.
once the pool is plastered and finsished, there wont be any way for that to happen.

Man, we really have been getting the rain! You can see the amount of water in the deep end just from Thursday night. And it's not coming from the water hose!!! I didn't even think about it being from the soil. I've lived where the soil/clay is really red, and ours isn't the same. But, our soil here must have more red to it than I realized, because the backed up pond at my back door is almost the color of the streaks in the pool.

I feel much better thinking it's probably just the red clay soil. A good lesson, though... I certainly don't want that to run into the completed pool!!! Earlier, I did text those pictures to my pb, and I'm sure he will get back to me when he can. I feel like if it were serious, he would have already been knocking on my door!!! ;)

Thanks again, and here's to a healthy balance of sun and rain!!! :sun: Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a novice with just a novice opinion... but thought I would visit your thread since you did mine!

I think others in here with experience can better advise on this, but I think I would keep an eye on weather and plan your plaster job carefully around that. You may need to plug off your returns to make sure it stops adding to the stain. And then I think you want to make sure that staining is removed before you plaster to prevent it possibly leaching through your brand new plaster job. It would be great if other posters far more experienced than I commented on that. Maybe there is nothing to worry about. Or...

Thank you so much! You've raised some very good points I hadn't considered or had put to rest. I'll put this back on my list and discuss again with our PB.

I've been wondering why... If the soil is leaching through the returns now, why it wouldn't continue later. Or is that because the returns are only "stubbed out" (correct term?)?

I've also been concerned about the stains leaching through to the new finish.

I do hope some more people will respond. Thanks again drgnslayr for getting this thread back up. Take care! Suz.

Suz,
the stains are entering from around the returns because they arent sealed off well. When the plaster guy comes, they will seal off around all the wall penetrations during the process. No worries about that.

drgnslayer does make a reasonable point about stains coming through the plaster. Rest assured this will be addressed too. By FAR, you pool is not the worse stained prior to the plaster process. Those guys DO NOT want any staining like that coming through, because it will be out of their back pocket to fix it.

I think you should mention it to the PB, but don't loose any sleep over it like you did when the stains first appeared! It will be just fine. I promise!

Thanks, Divin Dave. No, I didn't quite put it back on my worry list. But I had put it totally out of my mind. So I'm glad drgnslayr brought it back to my attention. I do need to be watchful.

I'll hold you to your promise! If it doesn't work out, you owe me a gallon of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla when they begin deliveries again!

Thanks for the reassurance! Suz.

Thanks to you guys, I talked to the PB's supervisor about the stains. He had time to go into a little more detail than the PB had the day I asked him. As ya'll said, he told me the plaster (aggregate?) guys will do a lot of prep work before they begin to do the finish. He said they will smooth out any rough spots, fill in the weep (?) holes used for ground water, and do a total acid wash to get off all stains. He was impressed with how much I know (or buttering me up), so I told him I owe it all to TFP!

Pictures: For those of you reminding me to add more pictures..... I thought I would get to it today, but the cats have shed most of their fur over the last few weeks (yes, my cats are almost naked now!!!), so I'm catching up today on some desperately needed vacuuming. Even the cats were coughing, sneezing, and begging me to vacuum. Poor things.....

Pictures coming soon. Take care! Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.