Crazy CH

Jun 3, 2014
Hollidaysburg, PA
Hello. I just opened my pool and did a first round of tests and my CH is out of this world.

Here are my October 6, 2014 closing numbers

FC - 16
CC - .5
TA - 210
CH - 400
CYA - 50

Here are my results today

FC - 5
CC - 0
TA - 170
CH 1375
CYA - 40

I am not sure how my CH tripled. I drained down to about 8-10 inches below the return. Rain and snow filled it to the return, then i topped it off with my well water. When I test my well water I get 2750! Now I did leave my TF-100 in the shed all winter, so I am wondering if I have skewed numbers because of that. The other numbers seem to be in line, just the CH. Could my R0010 and R0011 be compromised. Here is a picture of them, they have a slimy crusty gunk on them.

Last summer when I did my initial fill, it was about 12 inches from the well, and then the rest was from the water delivery service, who gets water from a nearby spring. Just kind of lost for what to do about it. My water on the other hand is crystal clear.

Thanks... Matt

Yes it could be bad. I would not count on those numbers. You should not have such drastic differences. I would suggest ordering a full TF100 refill kit since you left it out all winter.

There is more here with the different sources, but get the possible reagent issue eliminated.

Not as much in a vinyl pool, but that high if correct, can even be of concern in your pool. It's not a "danger" as in unsafe, but potentially problematic. I assume it does not have a heater. Your sig line doesn't mention one so I presume you do not?

I'm concerned about the huge discrepancies as much as anything. Well's can absolutely change, I'd just like to be sure on all the tests and sources.

No heater. I did start to plumb for solar that I will install in the next few weeks. I had the solar cover off today, and it seems a bit cloudy. Does temperature have anything to do with those results?

I am going to order a refill kit, and keep my fingers crossed for some lower numbers.

Not on CH really, and not anything near those variances. It will change how fast the end point comes around with a cold sample. Slower when colder, but I would get a full refill set. The cost is negligible when you consider the value the test results provide. It's not worth the risk at all.

I ordered some refills and got my tracking number this morning. When I get my new reagents this week, I will let the sample warm up a little before I test it. If it takes longer to turn to blue, maybe I have some extra drops in there. I do have the speedstir to help speed the mixing up. dropping 50+ drops makes that thing priceless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got my reagents today, and tested. My CH is at a comfy 300. Thanks everyone for the replies. This really is the best form to be apart of. I posted in a HVAC forum, and those guys were so arrogant, I ended up deleting my account. It was like I was taking money out of their pocket, for some DIY. I mean come on, an ignitor is an easy diy fix.

My kit will now stay inside all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.